January 29, 2009

Warning: Whining ahead

Being a member of the family I married into has done a number on my self esteem. Don't get me wrong: I love my in laws and have never been treated with anything but respect. That is not where the problem lies. No--the problem is with spending time with women who have a lightning fast metabolism. And are at least half my size. Let me just give you an idea. . .

SIL #2 tells me this story: She and her husband were still in college. Her husband was doing some sort of research project with a group of other men. At some point the discussion turns to the weight of their wives. (yeah, i know. weird. but ever since hearing this husband has no knowledge of my weight. that information does not need to be shared.) Each went around and announced the weight of his wife. Then it was my BIL's turn. His response? "My wife weighs less than all of yours and she is 8 months pregnant!" Nope. Not kidding.

SIL #3 goes shopping to Old Navy with me. We are waiting in line to pay when she starts complaining about finding clothes that fit her. I sympathize momentarily (she was living in costa rica at the time and it's hard to find your average clothing store there) when I realize that she is complaining that most stores don't carry EXTRA SMALL. Did I mention that she was complaining? As I am holding my pile of size LARGE clothing. Yep. That is where the sympathy ended.

And so here I am 3 months post partum and still barely fitting into my fat pants. And only a few of them at that. So for all of you out there with the blessing of an overactive metabolism or some fanatic love of exercise, please exercise caution in your "I'm so fat" diatribes. Because the rest of us? We just don't want to hear it.

3 comments:

wonder woman said...

Amen. Amen. Amen. Both Levi's sisters are skinny-ninnies. And one's a DD and size 2. (I think I just threw up a little in my mouth.) (Maybe that's not a bad idea....?) =D Luckily they live half way across the country so I'm not confronted with it frequently.

I'm adding this blog to my list!

That Girl in Brazil said...

Dang it. *I* was going to say Amen.

My in-laws are quite normal on the size scale ... but I'm a "medium" in the States, and Brazil's PLUS sizes don't even fit me.

Yeah. Hit on the ole self-esteem, alright.

3 Peas in a Pod said...

Looks like I've missed a lot here. I'll have to add this site to my blog too.

Ok, remember my husband has 9 sisters? I feel your pain. Most of them have had kids and all their bodies look like they're 18. Flat stomachs, big breasts, little bums...and the ones that haven't had children. Well I can't even go there. Of all the families I had to marry into, I HAD to pick the guy with the 9 sisters and all with rockin bodies. Mind you, they don't even try or work out. Just fast metabolisms. Really, life is cruel. :-)I can't believe your BIL actually said THAT!!! I'm hoping my daughter has my husband's genes as far as that goes but it's not looking so good. I think she has my thighs and rearend.

So just wanted you to know that I feel your pain.

Much love from NJ,
Sue
xoxo

Copyright Trapped Between a Scream and a Hug

Meaning all content on this blog is mine. So you better not steal it. Seriously.