February 6, 2009

Random Friday

I know. There is a funny carnival going on. So why would you want to read my randomness? Well, if you need a break from hysterical laughter, come on over. that and when i try to be funny it just comes out wrong.

I was doing laundry today and thinking about the talk that Pres. Monson gave recently. About how once your children are gone you will miss those piles of laundry.

"If you have children who are grown and gone, in all likelihood you have occasionally felt pangs of loss and the recognition that you didn’t appreciate that time of life as much as you should have. Of course, there is no going back, but only forward. Rather than dwelling on the past, we should make the most of today, of the here and now, doing all we can to provide pleasant memories for the future.
If you are still in the process of raising children, be aware that the tiny fingerprints that show
up on almost every newly cleaned surface, the toys scattered about the house, the piles and piles of laundry to be tackled will disappear all too soon and that you will—to your surprise—miss them profoundly."

And you know what? As I was folding napkins and towels and onesies, I realize that he was right. I will. As my babies get older and grow out of the tiny onesies and sleepers that would fit a doll, I miss folding them. I am sad every time one of my kids moves up a size in clothing and I have to put all the old and too small clothes away and wonder if I will have the opportunity to get them out again. And you know, even though my baby cries and cries and is a harder baby than I have ever had, I just can't imagine that he is my last. My heart isn't quite full yet. There is a hole still there needing to be filled. not anytime soon though, i might add. i'm good for awhile.
****************************************************************
Here is some full blown randomness for you: of all of the bodily fluids that children produce, I am pretty sure that I hate vomit the most. I have spent the last day cleaning up after a throwing up 22 month old who pushes the bowl away when I shove it in front of his mouth. It just kills me that he can't be meek for once in his life and let me catch the vomit so I don't have to clean it up!
Speaking of said toddler I gave him a bath this morning. On top of the stomach flu, he has a cold. So he can't breathe and is coughing. I think: perfect opportunity to use the vapor bath. I love that stuff. I use it when I'm sick. So, I pour it in the bathtub, get him undressed and try to put him in. And he runs away. Which is very unusual for him. He LOVES baths. He would stay in the bathtub for hours if I let him. So I bring him back in kicking and screaming and realize: He's afraid of the bubbles. Seriously. It took me five minutes to persuade him to get in the tub and even then, he never sat down and only played in there for about 5 minutes. Guess we're not going to be doing too many more bubble baths. . .
************************************************************
I'm in the midst of possibly planning a birthday trip to Disneyland for my oldest daughter. She shares her birthday with my one and only sister, and since Disneyland admission is free on your birthday. . . well, you do the math. The only thing is: I won't be going with her. Which makes me sad for 3 reasons:
1. I love Disneyland and always want to go.
2. I won't get to be there with her on her birthday to see how much fun she is having, which is half the fun of Disneyland, anyway.
3. My oldest 2 girls would get to go, and I don't know if I can give up my girls for that long! I know, I'm weird like that. But I have never been away from my children for any reason longer than one night at a time. This will be for 3 nights and 4 days. I am really going to miss them. They are my buds. But she will love this. Really. So much more than I can describe. So, I guess I should just let her go and get over myself. Any advice on how?

3 comments:

Carolyn said...

It is so hard to let them go...or to leave them.

My head still hurts...so I am not going on my day of alone fun...sad.

(BTW, I am an english major too and I am the worst speller in the world!!! Plus I am not too careful when I type...reading my blog may just drive you bonkers...but please keep reading anyway.)

wonder woman said...

Putting away clothes and puling out bigge ones breaks my heart, too.

Your girls would have SO much fun!! What a great mom for wanting to do this for her birthday day. It'll be okay. Imagine -- you'd only have two kids again for a few days! You could go to Wal-mart and put all children in a cart! You'll get special time with the men in your house. You can do it.

p.s. My funniness is usually not that funny, either. I have to rack my brain for stuff that's funny on it's own, and doesn't depend on my writing sense of humor.

Melinda said...

Think of when you were her age how excited you would have been and THEN think about how for forever she will adore you for doing that! :) It would be pretty awesome!

Copyright Trapped Between a Scream and a Hug

Meaning all content on this blog is mine. So you better not steal it. Seriously.