February 10, 2009

Reason # 3836 I love blogging:

It takes me back to my roots.

Some of you may know that I was an English major. And mostly because I loved to read. Well, at least that is why I stayed with it. I went into it because of writing. My senior year of High School I was the yearbook editor, on the literary magazine staff and in AP English. I did A LOT of writing that year. And I loved it. And I was pretty good at it, if I do say so myself. So when I went to college it only seemed right to stick with it. And I did. To this day I would rather write a paper than take a test. Anytime. In college I got to read books and then write papers on them. Maybe not easy, but really, right up my alley.

And then I had kids. And all writing stopped. I am terrible at keeping a journal. I really am. I pull it out, seriously, every six months. I have always been like that.

Then, one wonderful day my lovely friend Ashlyn introduced me to the world of blogging. And for the first 100 posts or so I stuck to the whole family blog genre: pictures, funny things that kids say, updates on my family. And then, I discovered that I really liked to write about my family. I really liked to embellish the horrifying mommy stories and make them more dramatic and a bit more funny. And after a while I decided I needed a whole new blog. I still have the family blog and it still is mostly pictures of my kids and funny things that they say but for the real me, you have to come over here. This is where it all hangs out. Sometimes funny, sometimes sarcastic. Sometimes totally and completely random. But it gives me a few minutes of sanity on an almost daily basis in my crazy, crazy screaming baby world.

And I love it. So, hopefully I will be able to keep up with it. Problem: I'm already starting to run out of things to say. So, if you want to help me out, what do you want to hear about? What inspires you?

6 comments:

That Girl in Brazil said...

Okay, quit getting in my head.

Yearbook editor. Check. AP English. Check. English major in college. Check (although only for two years - then I switched to a minor.) Would rather write an essay than take a test. Check. Writing stopped with kids. Check check check.

Sometimes when I'm having a particularly hard moment, the only thing that gets me through it is composing a blog post about it. (Although I don't always post it.)

And what do I want to hear about? Girl, if you read my blog today, I got NOTHIN myself. If I think of anything I'll letcha know.

Melinda said...

I did about the exact same thing; I started a "mommy blog" and about 100 posts in, I decided to start a "me" blog! :) It feels awesome! English was always my favorite subject, I like to write too, but I'm not fantastic (or even really good) at it! :)
Hmmmm, you can post about your dream vacation! How about that?

Carolyn said...

That's what I love about blogging...there are so many of us crazies floating about in the blogsphere...we can find each other and nod, smile, cry and laugh with every post.

wonder woman said...

I'm with Brasilia and you. Editor, writing vs. testing, etc. I was reading Wendy H's blog the other day when she was talking about simplifying. She said she considered cutting out blogging, but decided it was too therapeutic. I've seen that basic idea in about 100 posts, but never that concise, which made me realize the truthfulness of it.

Even if I don't post what I've written (I just did a rant I'm not sure I'll post) it feel so good to have those thoughts out of my head. The random, rumbling stuff that's been in there for days is now GONE and I can move on!!

I've also discovered my comments have a tendency to turn into posts of their own. Sorry. I want to hear about........your courtship. Or a horrible dating story.

Lauren said...

I totally agree. People always called me crazy as an English major because I loved writing those ridiculously long papers. As for topics to write about, I struggle with that sometimes, too but I tend to stick to literally whatever comes to mind when I log in to blog, or observations that I make. I enjoy reading all of your posts, mommy-related or non. Happy blogging!

JohnAllen said...

You could write about how awesome of a husband you have, even though he sticks his foot in his mouth once in awhile. :)

By the way, I am a numbers person. Give me a math test over any writing assignment, any day of the week.

I love you (even though you make fun of me).

Copyright Trapped Between a Scream and a Hug

Meaning all content on this blog is mine. So you better not steal it. Seriously.