February 11, 2009

So goodnight dear void. . .

So I ran across You've got Mail tonight as I was channel surfing. I love that movie. I used to have it almost memorized. And as I watched it again tonight I realized why it was so appealing. It's beautiful. Other than the whole love story bit, have you ever just sat and listened to the language? Bouquets of sharpened pencils, identity in a cup of coffee, a butterfly on the subway, words like thither.

And I realized what it reminded me of. Yep, that's right. Blogging. How did you know? These two people take the minutiae of everyday life and fill it with meaning and purpose. And isn't that just what we do? Take the moments of our lives that might seem otherwise drivel and make them wonderful. Things like steak knives. Things like watching Oprah and folding towels. Things like cheerios. Are these not the things that great blog posts are made of?

10 comments:

Kate said...

This is true. I do love that movie and have never thought about the connection with blogging but it is true. I love your blog and I will be back.

wonder woman said...

I saw this last night, too, and almost stopped to watch. I own it on DVD on always feel dumb watching movies on TV when I can watch them on DVD. (Isn't that weird?) But I love this movie, too. It is wonderful on so many levels. It makes me want to go to New York in the fall.

p.s. thanks for the link!!

janae said...

Oh, I agree. The best posts are always the really random ones about cheerios and such!

That Girl in Brazil said...

Hey hey! Cheers to the shout out!

I watched Pride and Prejudice last night, which always makes me think of You've Got Mail.

Is it weird, though, that I wanted her to pick Joe Fox over NY152?

Melinda said...

I love that, I haven't seen You've Got Mail (I know, there's something wrong with me!)! But it's totally coming in Netflix and then I'll completely love everything you said (although I already do.). :)

Heidi Ashworth said...

I ran across your blog via Melinda's. So glad I stopped by!

Emily said...

I'm working on a project that needs...tweaking.

Carolyn said...

Hey! You won the cookies. Email me your address and I will mail them out today or tomorrow.

carolynfruit@gmail.com

Carolyn

wendy said...

I like that show too..but I think Meg Ryan is the bomb (as in cool bomb, pretty bomb) And I agree, blogging is so fun and a great "sharing time"

Debbie said...

My all time favorite movie. Which is nice since it's hubby's too. I got a kick out of reading the posted links. It's always interesting to me to hear what goes on inside peoples heads (that they put down in cyberspace for us all, haha).

Copyright Trapped Between a Scream and a Hug

Meaning all content on this blog is mine. So you better not steal it. Seriously.