February 17, 2009

Undead Lizard People

Have you ever heard of NERO?

It is a game. A role playing game. Similar to Dungeons and Dragons. Husband and I watched a documentary on the people who participate in this game. And we laughed.

Even though it wasn't really funny.

I had to ask my husband if these were real people--not actors. Not like the office. These are real people and they really are taking part in a documentary.

"The object of the game is to capture or kill as many undead lizard people and then turn them back into regular lizard people."

or Husband's favorite: "I really don't have anything better to do with my time or money, so I do this." (speaking of making little magic packets out of fabric and birdseed.)

The thing that every single one of these people have in common is a desire to escape from real life and be someone completely different for a weekend. Or on a daily basis. And some take that more seriously than others.

And it kind of makes me sad that there are SO many people out there that hate their lives so much that they want to create a new one in a world that doesn't exist.

It also makes me incredibly grateful that even though I have bad days, I don't really want to create a new life for myself. I'm quite pleased with the one I already have.

9 comments:

coco-ono said...

There are many more people who want to live in a different world than you can even guess. And many more ways to do so then you can imagine.

Just visiting from SITS. Love your background, very gothic romantic.

Amelia said...

I'm just reciprocally snooping on you! you mean you don't want to be killing dead lizard people all day? whats wrong with you?

also known as shell said...

I'll have to check out the documentary. Its fun for me to laugh at nerdy people. since my husband is constantly on the brink of turning into one.

janae said...

That really is SO SAD. Really!

Shauna said...

I am new here! What a great blog :)

3 Peas in a Pod said...

I agree with you! Some days are hard but I don't want to have another life. I would like to escape for an hour or two but not forever. I would be lost without my kiddos.

Much love from NJ,
Sue

Melinda said...

Oh man, I totally get what you're saying! There's a lady I work with that is CONSTANTLY talking about World of Warcraft, for that exact reason! It really truly is so sad! :(

Pam said...

This morning might be one of those mornings that may make me want to have a different life! ;) All kidding aside, I have never heard of this Nero thing, but really am so grateful for the perspective the Gospel gives to help me stay focused and to not allow Satan to do an identity theft number on me.

wendy said...

I don't need to really create New World for myself.......that's why I blog. I am not into wizards, lizards and all that mystical stuff..........I just want to be a DIVA.

Copyright Trapped Between a Scream and a Hug

Meaning all content on this blog is mine. So you better not steal it. Seriously.