March 14, 2009

My Involuntary Blogging Break

Or why I am a terrible mother. . . and other random thoughts.

Let's start with why I am a terrible mother:

1. None of my children have eaten breakfast yet this morning, despite asking for it more than once. (okay. well they haven't eaten anything that they couldn't get for themselves.) (i did feed the baby. but that was about as easy as it gets)

2. I just plunked my boys down in front of the TV so that I could blog.

3. I have no idea where (in the house, of course) my girls are or what they are doing. But they are not complaining to me, therefore I will not bother them.


On to the blogging break: We moved the baby out of our bedroom (yea!) and into the room with the computer. (crap) Which means that my usual blogging hour of 9-10 in the evening is gone. Because he is the lightest sleeper EVER. And so, for the last two days I have not had time during the day to get on the computer. And, just so you know, catching up on all the new posts takes a long time-- and that is without comments. So sorry for the lack thereof. Maybe tomorrow.

And finally on to the randomness. Well, just one thing really. Whoever invented diets should die a horrible death. Because they are horrible. And awful.

Remember this? Well, I tried to spin it in a positive light. Which worked for about three hours. After that it just made me depressed, forcing me to don the sweatpants and curl up in a ball and eat and eat and eat and eat. And then about a week ago, I decided that I really don't like the size that I am, and I wanted to do something about it. So a few days ago I started dieting hardcore. (and by hardcore I don't mean I became anorexic or anything. I just really started dieting. Writing down exactly what I was eating and cutting out a severe amount of calories.) I also made a conscious effort to exercise more. And after 3 days of that I learned a few things:

1. I hate dieting. I am CONSTANTLY hungry. And I don't care what any one says. If you are on a diet you are going to be hungry. And vegetables are not filling. Seriously.

2. I can handle exercise as long as it is masquerading in the form of something else. Like gardening. Or walking to school to pick up my kids. Or dancing around the kitchen.

3. (this one's the kicker) When I diet, I don't make enough milk. (I'm nursing, if you didn't know. ) Therein lies the rub. Baby is still solely nursing, won't take a bottle and not old enough for solids. So there you go. Diet out the window.

So for the next 8 months if I plan on losing any weight at all, apparently I'm just going to have to exercise more. So basically, good bye $500. Maybe I'll see you next year.

10 comments:

janae said...

Yeah, the second I cut out fatty food, my milk supply (and quality) plummets. So until the baby is big enough to eat solids well, exercise it is. My deal with exercise is that I cannot - under any circumstance - do it until it is painful. I absolutely must stop before I hate it. Or else I never do it again. This latest round I started with jogging 3.5 mph (which is how fast my hubby walks for 10 minutes. And I felt like a goddess. :)

hippyrochelle said...

I had this problem when I had Dex, the nursing so you can't lose weight thing. There is a website called Sparkpeople.com that you can join (like weightwatchers.com but free) and you can put in that you are nursing and it will tell you how many calories you can cut out without losing milk. I did it and lost like 15 lbs while still nursing. Just thought you'd like to know.

Carolyn said...

I'm sorry you're having a hard time. I remember how devastated I was when only lost 10 lbs after having my last baby. (I had gained 45.) But to give you hope...my baby will be 2 next week and I am back down to what I was before I got pregnant!

Give it time...and cut out a little sugar...leave the fat in you need that to make milk...you'll get there :)

Kristina P. said...

Dieting is hard! I've been doing the Weight Watchers points thing, but I don't weigh myself. I never have. It doesn't work for me. I go by clothes fitting.

My only issue with the points is that a lot of the time, I just have no idea how many points something is, and my lack of will power. And I haven't gotten on my elliptical all week!!

Sara Ward said...

I hate not being able to diet while nursing too. My milk also dries up if I am not getting enough calories. THis could definately just be me because it's weird, but my mom told me to eat fatty dairy things to have good milk. Like ice cream. So when I'm nursing, I try to stay away from everything that's bad for me like cake, candy, chocolate, cookies etc, but I eat as much ice cream as I want. And it works for me. I know it could be totally wrong, but that's all I know. Also, if I was eating more than about 2000 calories a day, I try to exercise for around 45 min. A brisk walk or something.

wendy said...

Dont' worry so much about dieting until after you finish nursing ---just enjy that time. It'll all come together for ya. HEY - I'm still trying to loose my baby fat from my last baby WHO IS NOW 24. (tee,hee) but I am still hopeful for that size 24 waist line.

SO??? where did the $500 go,---or did I miss the story on that.

Heidi Ashworth said...

I was never able to lose weight when I was nursing and I was always famished! As soon as I stopped nursing I just wasn't so hungry anymore. My doctor told me I should be sure to eat while I was nursing so I would still have boobs when I weaned the baby. Something to think about . ..

wonder woman said...

Toughness all around. Sorry, Rach. But it won't always be like this.....you'll be able to lose weight and keep your baby healthy...someday. One thing my mom was big one when she was trying to lose weight is fiber bars. Ever tried the Fiber One chocolate and oats bar? It's *delicious.* And honestly filling. More than a stick of celery.

Good luck. Hang in there. Now is not a good time for you to focus on getting skinny. But your time will come. ♥♥

Debbie said...

Rachel you impress me so much. My hubby made a similar deal with me and I think I had the same thoughts as you. Good luck on this long road. I think it's just a pain no matter what, but to throw in their nursing and the hormones that go along with it, yeesh.

My mom always told me to take a Vitamin E supplement when I was nursing (to help get polysaturated fatty acids). To be honest I never checked it out though but you could check with your pedi to see if that might help.

(Oh and I loved your comment about exercise masquerading in the form of something else. To true!)

That Girl in Brazil said...

I cannot diet. CanNOT. I'm good for a week or two and then I crack and BINGE so much that any good I did that week is blown out the water.

And I'm crabby when I'm hungry. So my kids thank me for not dieting. Ever.

Copyright Trapped Between a Scream and a Hug

Meaning all content on this blog is mine. So you better not steal it. Seriously.