March 6, 2009

My Love Affair

I have discovered something about myself. I have a love affair with punctuation. But not all punctuation. (i can't even spell it right. thank you Mr. spell check). Mainly just with ellipses. Don't believe me? Scroll down. Notice a pattern in the titles of almost all of my blog posts?

You know what they are right? I remember the first time that I discovered the wonder of ellipses. Eighth grade. Mrs. Yates class. The Elements of Grammar. (which I still own by the way. I know. Such a nerd.)

And you know what is funny? I use them wrong every time. According to The Elements of Grammar: "Ellipsis is the term for omission of words or paragraphs from a quotation. It is indicated by the use of period dots." (yes. I am quoting. I got my book down just for all of you. So appreciate it!)

But you know what? I'm going to keep doing it. It's like a little suspense built into my blog. (or so i like to think)

And now I will continue the trip down memory lane to Mrs. Yates 8th grade honors English class. I have so many good memories from that class. I met my first 2 boyfriends in that particular class. (they didn't achieve that status for another 2 years or so, but that is indeed where I first met them.) I learned about dangling participles and direct objects. I had my first real introduction to poetry in that class and can still recite large chunks of the poems that we memorized on a monthly basis. And I complained mercilessly about diagramming sentences.

Have you ever diagrammed a sentence? Then you know what I am talking about. You know how tedious it is and how it seems like there has to be about a million ways to better spend your time. But you know what? I spent the better part of my college career eating my words.

1. Diagramming sentences is extremely helpful when learning a foreign language. It helps when you are conjugating verbs.
2. That grammar class I took? Yeah, I pretty much got the best grade in the class solely because I knew how to diagram sentences.

Just an example of a seemingly meaningless lesson that proved to be invaluable later on in life. Funny, isn't it? While learning that lesson I whined like a little girl--oh wait, I was a little girl-- about how this was pointless and no one every really needed to learn something like that. Only to realize that if I hadn't I would have had a much harder time in college.

Sounds familiar, doesn't it? Don't you love how the Lord just gives us the knowledge we need even though we are CONVINCED we don't really need it? Maybe I should start paying better attention . . .

see. i used them again. i can't help it.

8 comments:

Debbie said...

You. Are. Adorable. I love that you got your book out to quote from it. Dedication right there. I love ellipses too. I often find myself using them and then have to go back and edit so they aren't all over the place. I love it.

Heidi Ashworth said...

Oops! I guess I use them wrong, too. I do know that you should use three dots and that there should be one space before the first, in between each and after the last . . . like that

Kristina P. said...

I just learned something new today! However, I do just love saying ellipses.

Carolyn said...

i share your addiction...it seems that I will be a junkie for life.

Lauren said...

I, too, love a good use of ellipses. It's too bad kids these days--even honors students at my school--aren't required to learn how to diagram. We're really just working on writing a complete sentence :)

wendy said...

Thank you - I just learned something NEW from YOU---I didn't know what in the )#)(%*@^^) you were talking about --ellipse---but I looked it up in the dictionary, and now I know. Ahhh, the wonders of learning.

That Girl in Brazil said...

I'm in love with ellipses too - though I often cheat on them with the dash ....

You rock.

wonder woman said...

Dash and Ellipses: the other men in our lives.

Though I considered myself an english nerd, I did not enjoy the diagramming of sentences. And I can't quite remember what constitutes a direct or indirect object. Those brain cells are now filled with mommy info.

...loved this...

Copyright Trapped Between a Scream and a Hug

Meaning all content on this blog is mine. So you better not steal it. Seriously.