April 8, 2009

Lesson Learned

Yesterday as I was making myself breakfast, my daughter finished clearing the dishwasher, leaving one sharp knife. (my girls aren't allowed to put away the knives for 2 reasons: 1. They can't reach the knife block on the counter, and 2. They don't pay attention. Eyes would be lost.)
My almost 2 year old son wandered into the kitchen moments after she left. The dishwasher was open. With that single, solitary knife hanging out. So he picked it up.

And started waving it around.

Frantically.

I thought for sure that the remainder of the morning would be spent at the ER as I tried to get that thing away from him. Lately, he is on a rebellious streak and when I say "No!" or "Stop!" he thinks it's funny and continues doing whatever it is that is getting a reaction out of me. In this case, the frantically waving knife got closer to his face.

I tried my best to wrench it away from him without injuring either of us, but alas: He took a chunk out of my thumb. I didn't even feel it at the time. Too much adrenaline. Finally, I got a hold of the handle and pulled. Let me just say, this boy has a grip. I was lucky to get it away from him without further damage.

At this point I realized that I was bleeding and sent my girls to fetch the bandaids. I hate having a bandaid on my fingers. I wash my hands so often that in the past 36 hours I have gone through about 5 bandaids. And I think that I may use the rest of them up before this has a chance to heal.

Moral of my story: Never leave the dishwasher open with knives in it. Especially with a 2 year old on the loose!

7 comments:

Kristina P. said...

That's so scary! I hope it heels up quicky.

janae said...

Ugh! I hate when toddlers find knives. No matter how hard I try to keep them out of reach, inevitably every few months one of them ends up with a knife. Most recently it was the butcher knife. Talk about heart attack. Luckily we've never had any accidents. I'm glad yours turned out as small as it did. That said, I am soooo with you on the hating-bandaids-on-my hands thing. They drive me CRAZY as a mom!!

Carolyn said...

Super glue. Just super glue the cut. Or you can go buy the more expensive 'medical' super glue. (It's near the band aids) It works great.

As for the drama. I have so been there! 2-year-olds and knives...like flies to honey!

wendy said...

That would have been a moment of panic. Glad the injuries were not any worse. Kids can find the dangdest(is that a word?) things to get into.
Hey, you were funny to bring up the Asian thing about the old lady in the tiara. Your right, it won't turn me Asian (tee,hee)

Debbie said...

Yikes. I'm glad you're ok!

SO said...

Oh I do understand this. I'm glad no eyes were lost. Thanks for stopping by my blog! :)

Heidi Ashworth said...

Ooh, that IS a scary one! I hate bandaids for the same reason but a few months ago I blogged about a finger injury and someone suggested those special bandaids that are super expensive (6 to a box but you'll only go through one a day) that comes in a silver box and has special healing properties and are made for fingers so they stay on better. They were like a miracle!

Copyright Trapped Between a Scream and a Hug

Meaning all content on this blog is mine. So you better not steal it. Seriously.