April 11, 2009

The Not so joys of Motherhood

So, my sister was telling me about an episode of Oprah that she watched recently about motherhood. Heather Armstrong was featured as well as a few other moms and one of the segments was all about things that these moms wished others had told them about before they became a Mom. Things like hemorrhoids. And it started me thinking. . .

I wish someone had told me:

  • That nursing HURTS, even when you're doing it right.
  • That you will find baby poop somewhere on your body, and have no idea how it got there.
  • That there will be days, postpartum, that you honestly never want to have sex again
  • That hospital gowns are ugly and uncomfortable.
  • That there will be days you want to crawl in a hole, never to return
  • That it takes longer than a month or two to get back to pre-pregancy weight. Like 10-12 months. (unless you are a member of my husband's family. I hate you all.)
  • That the last month of pregnancy is worse than the first three.
  • That watching one of your children get hurt or be disappointed is one of the worst things that you will ever experience.
But really, when I think about it, even if I had known all of these things, I would have done it all over again.

13 comments:

Melinda said...

You're right, even if I knew I'd have horrible stretchmarks, my skin would hang off my body, I would feel the crushing intensity of that responsibility, I would do it again a million times over!
Love this post by the way! :)

Erin said...

Yep, yep, and yep!

Kristina P. said...

Awesome. I am making a mental note.

And can you believe Dooce makes $40,000 a month!?!?

Rachel said...

A month? no, I had no clue!

wendy said...

We are just glutons for punishment I guess---I did it 5 times. (slow learner) but I had easy pregnancies, not post partum stuff to deal with, nursing did not hurt and I still liked sex (TMI) The most poignant one is the last one on the list---we die inside when our kids are hurt or disappointed. Not matter how old they become. it never ends --the mothering.

Carolyn said...

In this case the truth will not set you free. It just creates anxiety. I believe it's better not to know than anticipate the yuckies. I'm glad I went into it blind...or I may have worried myself into never taking the plunge :)

Ignorance is bliss.

p.s. It took me a year to lose my 45 lbs...with every single baby.

That Girl in Brazil said...

Times three. Or more.

You should write a book about it - I'd send it to all my first-time mom friends.

(How's the scheduled days coming?)

Debbie said...

I'm with ya on that nursing stuff. Ya gotta learn it (and so does baby) and it's an emotional time (hello baby blues).

janae said...

Oooooh, you know what one of my biggest pet peeves is? When those nursing consultants tell you that if it hurts you're doing it wrong. I just want to slap them! They're driving people away from nursing when they say such stupid things!! Then women think, "Oh, this hurts, I guess I'm doing it wrong. I better use the bottle instead." NURSING HURTS. Bad. My first two months nursing my first were so much worse than labor. And my labor was awful. (Inverted nipples can kill ya.) But it was sooooo worth it, and I've not had a single problem with #2 and #3. Okay, except being sore, tender, engorged, and getting those terribly painful cramps. But those are worth it because I know they are skinnifying me. :)

Heidi Ashworth said...

I hate them all, too!

Susan said...

I love this list... and I saw that Oprah - it was so true. Ooh, thank god my days of baby poop on my elbow are over! Whew.

wonder woman said...

So true. And humorous. And true. My sisters-in-law are the same way and it's DISGUSTING. Luckily we live states away and I never have to stand beside them.

Amber Lynae said...

I wish that someone would have told me that nursing doesn't always help you drop the baby weight. 10-12 months is sounding like a nice time frame since my daughter is way past that mark and my weight has stuck regardless of failed attempts to make it otherwise. I'm with you on the needing some motivation.

Copyright Trapped Between a Scream and a Hug

Meaning all content on this blog is mine. So you better not steal it. Seriously.