April 28, 2009

Shake and Pour

Have you seen the commercial for Bisquick Shake and Pour pancakes? If not, go here, watch then come back so you can hear me rant about how I hate it.

Why do I hate it?

1. The mom. First of all, no mom out there has time to get up, shower, get dressed, put on her make up, curl her hair and still make pancakes. The mom's out there who curl their hair are the ones who barely have time to throw back a can of Carnation instant breakfast and hand their kids pop tarts on the way out the door.

The woman who makes pancakes does none of this. She rolls out of bed, decides that since she got enough sleep, she will make pancakes for her kids. She does this in her Pajamas. There is no hair curling or makeup application for pancake breakfasts. Trust me.

2. The kids. How many of you have children who come to breakfast dressed, of their own volition, in matching clothes no less? I see no hands raised.
And if you were to have children who did get dressed by themselves, they would not be wearing matching clothes, much less have their hair done. In order for this commercial to be realistic, that girl needs to be wearing a green skirt with an orange shirt with red tights. (It's happened.) And the boy needs to have bed head.

3. The actual product. In all honesty, how much time is this really saving you? You skip the step of pouring the batter into the bowl--that's it. Seriously, think about it. You measure the batter to pour in the bowl and then add water and stir. Pretty much the same thing. It just seems silly to me.

Okay, now that I have that off my chest, are there any commercials out there that drive you nuts?

16 comments:

Kristina P. said...

I had no idea. This is why I love my DVR. No commercials!

SO said...

Oh I can't stand this commercial either!! The ones that drive me batty are the paper towel commercials that show the mom's happily cleaning up their kids' messes OR, OR shaking a bottle of soda and squirting it at their kid. I HATE those commercials though I haven't seen them for a while.

janae said...

Um, no TV, so no commercials to bug me. But I thought your comments were interesting. I generally get up 2+ hours before my kids (they get up late, I get up early), so I could probably do number 1 ... if I had hair to curl and a reason to curl it. But I DEFINITELY am with you on number 2. That would NEVER happen. Not in a million years. The kids are ready in time to sit down for a pancake breakfast? NEVER. EVER. As for number 3, I have never actually bought bisquick. I've only made pancakes from scratch. I know, strange. But that leads me to say: I completely agree with you. It can only save you a minute, max. How is that worth the extra dollars they'll charge you??

Carolyn said...

Um, I don't get TV. We only watch movies.

But, I always make pancakes from scratch, usually with hidden blended veggies inside, always in my pj's. Makeup is for special occasions only. Like my once a month trip to Costco.

hippyrochelle said...

Okay, I've got a commercial for ya, although you probably haven't seen it since I'm pretty sure it's only in Idaho.
Two women are speaking in their seperate cars next to each other in the middle of the road. One says to the other, "Gotta hurry, got cable-one coming, gonna hook up bob's big screen." Does she not believe in Pro-nouns! It drives me crazy! shouldn't it be "I'VE gotta hurry, WE'VE got cable-one coming, THEY'RE gonna hook up bob's big screen!
Sorry that is a pretty weak example, but it annoys me so much!

hippyrochelle said...

oh yeah, I was also going to say something about the pancakes.
That shaker thing is so stupid, I don't know why anyone would spend money on it. It probably makes lumpy pancakes, I don't think you could mix it enough by shaking it!

That Girl in Brazil said...

Tee hee ... I hope Bisquick sees this post! I think you should send it to them ....

Emily said...

I HATE the Sponge Bob Burger King commercial with the women shaking their "square butts" in the camera to advertise a KIDS MEAL.

Pam said...

What a lame commercial!

Rachel said...

Emily- I hate that one too!

Debbie said...

We dont have tv anymore (but we watch plenty of shows on Hulu--so we only get a handful of commercials that way).
I love your comments about that dumb commercial though. Funny stuff!

I haven't seen any lately but I hate most commercials on any kid channel (nick jr). When we had it last year my kids would BEG for whatever was on, almost like it was scripted. "Mooooom, can I puhleeze have [insert lame toy here]. I really really need it!"

heather said...

You are so exactly right.

Mother Goose said...

LOL, you are funny! i like your blog.

Diamond in the Rough said...

Just found you from MMB. This is hilarious... my husband and I both hate this commercial for all the reasons you pointed out. And the happy meals... couldn't agree more.

EastwoodDC said...

You are not alone!

Jemnina said...

I hate this commercial so much, but for none of the reasons you mention although they are quite valid. I HATE THE SONG!! Whoever she is she sounds horrible and she DEFINITELY doesn't make me feel whimisical about eating pancakes - just sick!!! PLEASE take it off the air, Bisquick!!!

Copyright Trapped Between a Scream and a Hug

Meaning all content on this blog is mine. So you better not steal it. Seriously.