April 17, 2009

So in love with Random!

So obviously we bought a car. Now, this was in our budget, we needed a new car, (verging on desperately) but now I am thinking about our budget again. There are some things that I would like to stick in there, but I need to figure out how.

And no, this does not count as coveting. I don't want new stuff. I want to find a way to be able to budget for more organic foods. I want to save up for our trip to CA this summer. I want to find a way to budget for at least swim lessons for my kids and maybe dance classes for my girls.

On the tentative chopping block is cable. I am working on finding other areas to cut back in. Fast food is one of them. We don't do fast food that often but it adds up. Where have you cut back? How have you saved money? This may be inconsequential, but we use cloth napkins, I have cut back on Ziploc bag usage, and I am making my own baby food. Any other frugal suggestions?

*************************************************************************************

Have you ever caught your kids swearing? What did you do? I heard one of my girls swear the other day, but I really don't think that she had any idea what she was saying. She wasn't using it any where near the right way. I think that she had heard it along the way but didn't really catch the context or anything of it. I didn't make a big deal out of it, but I did tell her that it wasn't a very nice word and she shouldn't say it. Very calmly and nicely. And she stopped. It didn't bother her that I asked her to stop. I guess I should be grateful.

***********************************************************************************

I'm curious. Why is everyone so obsessed with facebook? I mean, I'm on it, I like the fact that I have been able to get back in touch with a few people that I lost track of along the way, but I have heard people mentioning that they spend hours on it, that they check it as often as they do their email. I don't get it. What are you doing on there? Searching for more friends? Aren't there only so many places to look? I just don't get it.

Although, I guess the same could be said about blogging. (Except, really, (going into defensive possibly self-righteous mode) blogging has so much more substance to it. Either you are purging your thoughts, which is healthy; you are making new friends; or you are bettering your understanding of the world. Isn't that better than taking a movie quiz?) I just don't get it.

************************************************************************************

My baby took a 2 hour nap today. Do you know how much you can get done over the course of 2 hours sans baby on the hip? A lot, I tell you. A lot.

************************************************************************************

I'm tired of wearing my fat pants. I need some motivation to exercise. I tried to get a friend to do it with me, but she just wasn't excited about getting up at 6:00 on the morning. What has worked for you? I have decided that I can cut the cookies and cake and ice cream and candy out of my diet, but pretty much further than that, I cannot do. The whole nursing thing is getting in the way. So, help me out. What made you get off your butt and get exercising?


I think that is all. Maybe I'll post tomorrow. I'm not sure yet. I just might get to go to Tucano's for lunch! Mmmmmmm. (and not on my dime! the best way to go! )

16 comments:

also known as shell said...

I lost 30lbs last year Rachel and it was hard and still hard to keep it off. I am now trying to lose the 10lbs I put back on over the fall and winter. Right now I'm on an eating plan and working out. I'm down 3 lbs since I started last week. If you want me to email you my eating plan let me know!!! YOU CAN DO IT!!!!

Carolyn said...

I don't feel the love for facebook either. Blogging is so much better...I guess facebook is just blogging for dummies :)

Oh did I say that. Slap my hand.

wonder woman said...

If we lived close I'd go walking with you!! I was actually just thinking about it this morning. A friend and I did it over the summer, but stopped when school started. She's pregnant now, and I don't know that she'd want to get up at 6 and walk for an hour. Do you go to a ward playgroup? Maybe mention it there and see if anyone's interested.

About budgeting -- having spending CASH has been a lifesaver for us. I get my cash on payday, and that's it. If I don't have enough cash to get it, I don't get it. Or if I know something more important is coming, I choose accordingly. This means that fast food is a rare treat for us. I'd say I go out twice a month -- and we go to Wendy's and spend less than $5, or get a pizza from little caesar's. So that's my recommendation.

When I first got on facebook, I was OBSESSED. Then I started a blog. Now I check facebook like once a week. And spend less than 20 minutes there.

3 Peas in a Pod said...

I don't LOVE FB either but that's the way some of my friends whom I lost touch with a bit communicate with me. I have a lot of good friends on there. Some don't live in NJ so its' really helpful. Others I used to work with for 16 years and they obviously work all day while I am lounging around at home. :-) My cousins are on there as well who don't live in NJ. It just happens to work for me. I can understand how you could take it or leave it. Some days I still want to delete my account.

Ways I have cut back are pre-planning our meals. I made a meal the other day that cost less than $7. I got a package of thin sliced pork chops for $3. You can't beat that. I try to stay out of the grocery store as much as possible. I've need skim milk since last weekend yet I know if I enter the store it will cost $100-200. I've been using whole milk which I don't like!! We don't do a lot of extracurricular activies either as much as I'd like to. We went to the movies the other day and my town has free movies on Sat mornings so it only cost $6.50 for treats. We don't go out to dinner and rarely have fast food. It also helps that some of our utilities were lowered due to our budget plan and we refinanced our mortgage which is saving us quite a chunk of cash each month. Other than that I can't think of much. I did switch hair salons and it was at least half as expensive as the last place I went. I know that sounds silly but my roots grow out every 2 1/2 months and I haven't sucked it up to go one color yet. Not sure I ever will.

The working out was pushed back into swing by Amber's interest in doing the Extreme Makeover--Me Edition. I was really into it last year and then blew it by going off WW from October - Jan/Feb gaining 10 lbs. My clothes started to get too tight and luckily I still had some other sizes in my closet otherwise I would've had to buy new clothes. That's an incentive to me.

I hope some of this helped a little.

Much love from NJ,
Sue
xoxo

hippyrochelle said...

I'm not in love with facebook either, I actually just opened an account, due to the pleading of my sisters, and kinda think its the route of all evil......
Anyway, too bad my sister lives in your neighborhood instead of me cause I am looking for a walking buddy also....I guess it won't work out when i live 400 miles away. Good luck getting rid of your fat pants!

heather said...

I checked out a book by Ellie Kay she has dozens, but the one I read was Shop, Save, Share. She has solid advise and step by step guides on how to save your fam thousands in a year. Really. Especially by couponing, ad matching, sale shopping, and menu planning.

If you want to go more organic shop at the local farmers markets for some real good deals on produce. :)

I TOTALLY don't understand facebook either.

WOot WOot for a 2 hour nap. :)

AND you could join my little exercise group. We're walking across the U.S. -we're in Colorado at the moment. And most MOndays I'll come over here and ask you to report to me. :)

Cottage Cheese Thighs said...

I too have a love/hate relationship with FB. I find myself on there a lot, but its mostly because I am bored and nosey. As far as excerise goes, girl, love yourself!

Melissa Bastow said...

I don't get facebook either. Some people tell me that they like the update what they're doing 10 times a day. All I can ever think to put on there is that I just got to spend 2 1/2 minutes in the bathroom alone, or that I have applesauce stuck to my ceiling, and I just don't think my facebook friends are that interested...

SO said...

Good luck on your budgeting. I'm really terrible with money so I have no advice.

I like facebook but I'm kind of past the I LOVE it phase.

Rachelle said...

i'm new to your blog... found you from wonder woman's blog (isn't she the coolest!). well, can't wait to dive in more. your posts have made me laugh my head off today. :)

janae said...

Re: exercise. I set progressive goals, by the week.

Week 1: think about exercising. Don't actually do it, but think about doing it.

Week 2: wake up at 6am (the time I would go running). Think about running. Then go back to sleep.

Week 3: wake up at 6am. Think about running. Don't do it, but stay awake and do other things.

Week 4: wake up at 6am. Actually go running. Do it M-F. Never, ever, ever skip a day or you'll have to start over from week 1.

Honestly, this really works for me. I know it's strange, but I get myself all worked up mentally and I can go a good month without ever thinking about not doing it. Strange, but hey - whatever works! :)

Kristina P. said...

I had the same conversation with a friend about Facebook. How are people spending hours on it? I check it like once a week.

Rachel said...

Janae, I am laughing. Maybe I'll have to try that one out!

Erin said...

I don't get Facebook at all.

I'm jealous about the two hour nap. The only way I get a break is if I put a two hour movie on for my boys!

Have a great weekend!

Melinda said...

Okay, I have to take this one thing at a time.
Facebook: It's like a living, breathing thing. It's constantly changing. People change their status, add pictures, leave you a message. So it more depends on how active your friends are with you, as to how much time you will spend on it. (You're right, Blogging is better. LOVE your self righteous stance! hehehehe)
Kids swearing: whenever we've caught our kids saying a swear word. We've said thats a word they shouldn't say. If it isn't something they've heard mommy or daddy say, they shouldn't either. It's worked for us (since we don't swear!). :)
Dieting: I think cutting out the really fatty stuff is good, but even doing little things in the form of excercise is good. Park farther away when you go to the store. Take your kids for walks and push them in the stroller (it adds weigh, makes you work harder), things like that. I like to have a friend too, but I sure wouldn't get up early to do it, so find a time & routine that works for you, so you'll keep doing it.
Budget: we're doing the same thing. Looking at the cable, cutting back on eating out. There's the envelope budget. You put all your money in different envelopes. Bills, shopping, food, and when the money's gone, it's gone.
Sorry this is soooooo long, love random posts too!

wendy said...

I like blogging MUCH better then facebook. I haven't really got facebook all figured out yet. I am happy for you that you had 2 HOURS to get things done. My daughter feels the same way when her little girl takes a long nap. Moms just don't get enough "time"

Copyright Trapped Between a Scream and a Hug

Meaning all content on this blog is mine. So you better not steal it. Seriously.