April 24, 2009

Totally Random

Last week I went of on Facebook, this week is Twitter. Okay, so I personally have nothing against Twitter, I just don't get it. Honestly, who really cares that I just put in a load of laundry? Does anyone really want to know that I just finished grocery shopping? I don't understand the appeal. I mean, I guess it's a little like blogging with mini posts, but I'm not that creative. They wouldn't really be mini posts: they would be updates on my day. "I finished the dishes." "I cleaned the kitchen." Who really wants to know these things? This is directed to all of you out there who love to twitter. Explain to me the appeal. I really am curious and want to know!

************************************************************************************

Sometimes I wish I was pregnant all the time. But not really. Okay. That just sounds crazy: let me explain.
When I am pregnant the nesting instinct kicks in around 5 months. So for like 4 months I am super ambitious. For example, when I was pregnant with my last baby I made a twin size patchwork quilt, 3 patchwork shams, 2 Halloween costumes (Alice in wonderland and Tinkerbell), a purse and a nursing cover up. I also cleaned out and organized my girls room and reorganized my sons room, got out all the baby stuff and made room for it, cleaned my house top to bottom more than once and scrapbooked a good 3 months of my children's lives.

Since the time that the baby has been born I have not made one single item. Except for the tutu's I made for my nieces for Christmas, which literally took all of 5 minutes. (Sorry Sara.) I haven't organized anything. I can barely keep one room clean at a time, let alone the whole house. And the major reason behind all of it? Motivation/ energy. I have a serious lack of both.

Every morning when I wake up I kind of make a tentative schedule for myself in my head with 3 or 4 things on it in addition to all the things that I must do every day. I'm lucky it I get to number 2 on the list. I kind of wish I could just get a shot of Nesting hormones every once in a while to get some stuff done. But then not have to deal with all the rest of the miseries of pregnancy.

I know. I'm weird.

***********************************************************************************

Every once in a while I will have a Saturday come up with nothing planned. And I really start looking forward to that Saturday and thinking of things that I could do that I wouldn't usually get to do. Then, around Thursday, something pops up for that Saturday. And I think, okay, I can deal with that one thing, and still get the rest of my stuff done. But that is not where it ends. By the time Friday night rolls around, Saturday is packed and everything that I was hoping to get to do has been kicked off of the agenda and now I am forced to do things that I may or may not want to do, or stay home because my husband bought a truck and is now the official mover of everyone that he works with. (working on the bitterness that you heard there.)

***********************************************************************************

I think that's all. I have a headache and a shower is sounding like the perfect cure right about now. . .

14 comments:

Kristina P. said...

Amen about Twitter!! Don't you ever feel like you have overdosed on the Internet?

MySpace, Facebook, Twitter, blogs, etc.

heather said...

hope you enjoyed that shower. i think the bathtub is calling me.

and i totally don't get twitter either. i posted about it probably a month or more ago -and i ended up joining it that day just to see because all kinds of people were raving about how great it is, but i'm with you. i love reading your blog, but i really don't need to know every last minute of your day.

Wendy said...

Oh Rachel!!! I totally feel your PAIN, and FRUSTRATION!!! I wish I could do something to help you.. Maybe I could come for a visit and entertain your kiddos while you organize something.... hmmm.

I've just simply come to the conclusion that my kids will only be kids for a short while, but the work will ALWAYS need to be done. So if a moment comes that my kids need me... I follow them. If nothing is going on then I try to clean/organize/tidy something.

I try not to stress too much over it, but then again, it's easier said than done.

Carolyn said...

Love yourself.
Don't worry about twitter.
(I can't figure it out either.)
Enjoy it.

wonder woman said...

I've never joined twitter. Totally don't get. Just one more forum where I have to come u with clever one-liners. Not an easy task for me.

TOTALLY get the nesting instinct thing!!! It'd also be fun to always be able to eat what you want and not worry about weight gain. But holy cow, you were WAY ambitious!! I unfortunately never got that busy.

Sorry tomorrow's so busy. Hope you have fun, anyway!

janae said...

I don't have an answer about Twitter either. Except that I read a study on CNN.com about how the way that Twitter communicates makes people hard because empathy takes time to develop. Did that even make sense? It's late. :)

Femin Susan said...

Hope you enjoyed that shower.Amen about twitter.

Melinda said...

Okay seriously, I TOTALLY understand the whole nesting/pregnant thing. I don't like being pregnant, but I LOVE the nesting! I would have said that the exact same way! :)

Mother Goose said...

found you from MMB!! wow, you sew a lot. I get what you mean about having so much energy or the need to get everything done while pregnant. I think it is because you have a deadline. once you have a baby, its more like survival mode.

Lauren said...

Here's my two cents about Twitter: My dad talked me into joining bc his work uses it as a communication tool & he was convinced my siblings and I would enjoy it. He lives in Las Vegas and loves knowing what I'm up to. I still really don't get the appeal, but continue to "Tweet." Interestingly, you can follow "celebrities" (not that that's really cool, though) or just every day people and sometimes their "tweets" make you think or are interesting or just silly.
Like you said, who really cares about going grocery shopping...and I agree with a previous comment about internet overload. I know lots of people use it for business, too. I guess my main reason to use it is to stay cinnected with family (not very many people follow me & I don't follow many either).
(sorry...that was long and rambling!)

wendy said...

when you own a truck ---------everyone owns you, it is a balancing act for sure. Have you thought of being a surrogate mother --then you can have the energy/nesting instincts you need----but don't have to keep the finished product. Just a suggestion.

Rachel said...

Wendy-I don't think that I could be pregnant for anyone but my babies. I don't have energy the whole time! And I don't think I could give the babies back to the mommies.

Debbie said...

I'll sometimes make random comments like that to my husband 'I miss being pregnant' but, like you, it's only or a very specific reason.

I'm pretty sure though that after you have a baby you're exempt from the duties of motivation and energy for at least several months. :)

Jenna Consolo said...

I gotta tell ya, I don't understand the Twitter craze either. Can't we have some privacy? And I'm sure if we're telling the world everything we're doing, we're not doing as much as we could be.

And I actually understand the wanting to be pregnant thing. I think I feel that way too sometimes! Never thought about it that way.

Copyright Trapped Between a Scream and a Hug

Meaning all content on this blog is mine. So you better not steal it. Seriously.