April 21, 2009

Tuesday Confessional

I haven't done this one before, but I remembered something last night that I thought would fit perfectly into this category.

About 4 1/2 years ago we were in the process of moving from Idaho to California with an 18 month old and a 2 week old. We were on the way to move in with my in-laws. (Let the previous statements show the state I was in at the time.)

On the 11 hour drive with said children we stopped at a McDonald's in the middle of nowhere. The Stateline of Nevada and California. Both girls needed diaper changes. I took the baby first and realized that there wasn't a changing table. This was a huge McDonald's, with 2 bathrooms. Neither one of them had changing tables. Cursing our luck I changed the baby on the counter, which wasn't a big deal because I had a changing pad, and as I said, she was 2 weeks old and fit easily on the counter. We finished up and I went back to retrieve the older daughter.

We headed for the second bathroom, which was much less crowded than the first. This 18 month old toddler, who had never been in anything but the 90th percentile for everything, barely fit on the counter. And to top things off, she had filled her diaper with little deer poops. I managed to get her all cleaned off, but when I pulled the diaper out from under her to throw it away a few of those little deer poops fell on the floor.

Here's where the confession kicks in: Being in the state I was in, furious at the McDonald's for not having a changing table, I may have kicked those little deer poops under the counter and walked away without batting an eye.

PS. insanely awesome giveaway at The Meanest Mom. Head on over.

10 comments:

Carolyn said...

Love it love it love it. I know postpartum craziness well.

(My confession, I probably would have done that even if I wasn't postpartum. Who wants to go crawling around on a public restroom floor picking up deer poo? I ask you.)

SO said...

That is crazy that they didn't have a changing table!! I probably would have done the same thing.

Sara Ward said...

I know the exact restaurant you're talking about because we've gone there on two road trips to California, and both times I got so mad there was no changing table. (I forgot the second time). It's always so hot there which makes everything worse. I asked them why they didn't have one, and told them they needed one. They said it was too much of a liability. They didn't want any law suits for kids falling off. Arrgg. We will never go back.

hippyrochelle said...

Serves them right for not having a changing table! I would have done it too, probably even if it was a giant turd! Oops, did I just say that?

Kristina P. said...

Ha! This made me laugh.

Susan said...

Oh.my.god. I'm gonna puke. After I stop cracking UP!

also known as shell said...

LOL! good job.

Melinda said...

Awesome. I would've done it too-totally! :)

Rachelle said...

that was hillarious! ewww... thanks for the giggle. :)

Terresa said...

i totally hear ya, girl! I would've helped you kick the deer poop under the counter, too.

I used to get so mad at places that didn't have the foresight to think of peeps with kiddos. Four kids later, I've slowly adjusted to changing them on my lap or just standing up (if it was just a pee dipe). But it still burns me when there's no adequate facilities for dipe changes! I'm sure if that McD's management had little kids, it'd be a different story!

Copyright Trapped Between a Scream and a Hug

Meaning all content on this blog is mine. So you better not steal it. Seriously.