April 14, 2009

What I learned Yesterday

1. When a cake recipe says to make 3 layers, don't assume that everything will be okay if you only make 2 instead.

2. If you check on a baking cake and it looks like it might overflow, put a cookie sheet under the cakes on the rack underneath BEFORE it actually overflows.

3. Baking soda will put out a fire in the oven.

4. The baby thinks the fire alarm is funny.

5. Smoke is not a great added flavoring to cake.

6. Amazing frosting will not cover up the smoke flavoring.

7. The oven may have to be cleaned before we move.

8 comments:

Melinda said...

Hahahhaha! That happened to me the other day, except it was a casserole and the cheese spilled over the side, and there was lots of smoke... I vowed to never cook again. :D

Carolyn said...

Oh I'm so sorry! Ruined cakes are my specialty. It took me years before I finally was successful at least half the time.

janae said...

Ha, ha! This is one of my favorite posts yet. So funny. And sad. Sorry to you. :)

Mallory said...

I once made brownies with "Stir Fry" oil, instead of plain vegatable oil. They smelled like spaghetti sauce when I took them out of the oven. It's one thing when your cooking goes wrong, but it is SO MUCH WORSE when it's something sugary!

hippyrochelle said...

Ha ha! I love disaster cooking stories, I'm sorry your cake didn't work out, but look at the bright side, you didn't eat it with all those empty calories!

Rachel said...

Actually . . . I did eat it . . .

Erin said...

Oh man, sounds like an exciting day!

P.S. Our oven wasn't cleaned when we moved in. Gross! But I guess that means you don't have too either :)

wonder woman said...

I'm enjoying a much needed chuckle over this. Thanks for the tips. Sorry you had it rough. :o)

Copyright Trapped Between a Scream and a Hug

Meaning all content on this blog is mine. So you better not steal it. Seriously.