May 11, 2009

Redemption

This may be another random post. I'm not quite sure how all of my thoughts are going to come tumbling out of my head. So, here goes.

I'm glad it's Monday. I'm glad Mother's day is over. It isn't my favorite day. I have learned to have no expectations whatsoever, but the hope inside me just will not die. I can squash it as much as I want to but on Sunday morning at 6:00 when little people wake up, who are not supposed to be awake, the hope just rears it head and nothing that I do will control it.

Overcoming Mother's day usually takes a few days. But this year a small miracle happened. Shall I explain? My 4 year old has been asking to go walk around the temple for family night for a few weeks now. But every Monday night someone has either been sick or it has been raining for the past month. In fact, we almost didn't go tonight because baby had a fever this afternoon, but thank heaven for infant Tylenol. A miraculous invention if ever there was one.



We drove to the Jordan River Temple, which is practically down the street from us. But as it is Monday, the gates were closed and we couldn't even get into the parking lot. Husband suggested we drive out to the new Oquirrh Hills Temple, which is only about 10 minutes away. We got there and noticed that there were tents set up in preparation for the open house that will begin in June. We walked around the outside, marvelling at it, the girls gazing in admiration and talking about the wonderful things that happen inside. As we rounded a corner we noticed a group of Sunday dressed people actually entering the temple. Husband and I joked that you probably have to have connections to get to tour the temple early. Be related to a General Authority at least. As we got closer to the gate, a guide stopped us and asked us if we would like to go inside. Husband and I looked at each other in shock. He was in his work clothes (a polo and slacks), and I was wearing capri's and a spit-up encrusted shirt. The girls were in the same clothes that they had spent the day playing outside in, and the baby was only in a onesie. The guide said that it was no problem to go through in our street clothes. We both felt a little awkward, but really were excited for the opportunity to go through this early.

It was WONDERFUL. If there was more that I could do to emphasize that word, I would do it. It was beautiful. The kids were reverent. My 2 year old was astounded by all of the chandeliers. The girls were in awe of every room. And we had a guided tour with only 2 other families. The whole way home I couldn't stop talking about how lucky we were. How blessed we were. What a good job my husband had done, suggesting that we go see the new temple.

And it made up for yesterday. All the doubts, all the insecurities, the disappointments. Being in that sacred building with my entire family was better than any mother's day present I could ever receive. Showing each of my children their eternal reflection in the sealing room is a moment I don't want to ever forget. Holding my baby walking through those quiet halls reminding me that I will hold him for all of eternity. It was an incredible blessing. Happy Mother's Day to me.


*For more info on the Oquirrh Hills open house go here.

17 comments:

pan x 8 said...

Now that is what you call one successfull FHE! I love the imagery of your little family, 'cause believe me when I say I'm there a lot (with my outfit and the baby!) ;p

I love that your family felt the spirit and you totally enjoyed the spirit. We can't wait to go! Nothing like the temple to put all things in perspective!

Kristina P. said...

Wow, you are lucky! It was quite a long day when we did The Draper one.

Melinda said...

I got to take the Young Women in our Ward to the Draper Temple, but now I really want to go with my family! I'm so glad it was wonderful, I'm so glad you got to go early, I'm so glad your kids were reverent! (I'm a little terrified mine would be naughty...)

Carolyn said...

Sometimes we just need a really wonderful distraction from our disappointments.

Sounds like a beautiful day.

Mallory said...

So sweet. I can't wait until a day comes where I can have all my children in the temple with me (even if it is just in an open house!)

SO said...

That is such a neat thing to have happen for you and your family! I bet it was totally amazing.

Momza said...

That could only happen in Utah. So very wonderful for all of you...I think they call that a "tender mercy".
Don't be weary in well-doing little momma.

heather said...

That's awesome!! :) I'd feel totally weird about street cloths too. AND it seems like a lot of people have Mother's Day issues.

wonder woman said...

How incredible for you guys!! We didn't go to the Draper Open House, and I was really regretting it. Then on Sunday they mentioned getting tickets for the Oquirrh Mountain open house and I was like, "What?!" I didn't realized it was so close to being done! We're DEFINATELY going to this open house.

Debbie said...

Wow. What a fun adventure for your family! How neat to get such a special little treat.

hippyrochelle said...

I have to admit I am jealous! I wish there was a temple open house around here to take my kids to, but alas......Ivy's surgery is coming up, maybe we will be in Utah during the open house of the oquirrh hills temple.

Heidi Ashworth said...

What a lovely post!

Erin said...

Wow, what a neat opportunity! Good for you. I'm so glad you were able to do that with your family.

Rachelle said...

wow...it was just for you! how cool is that. that's one of those special days to always remember!

janae said...

Oh, yay!! That's wonderful. I'm really happy for you! :)

Sara Ward said...

Sounds awesome! What a blessing.

Jodie said...

What a great post! You totally made me cry. I cannot wait until my husband and I can be sealed to each other and our children. I can't wait to be able to look in the mirror in the sealing room and see my families eternal reflection!

I also have my expectations way to high for Mother's Day! I had to remind my husband to at least get me a card!

Copyright Trapped Between a Scream and a Hug

Meaning all content on this blog is mine. So you better not steal it. Seriously.