May 7, 2009

So much Randomness

I kind of feel a little bit guilty. I really wanted to win the spotlight. So I avoided doing the the cool thing about it: I ignored the other blogs. Meaning, I didn't mention them at all. But only because I didn't want you to go read them. Because they are all REALLY good. And, you know, I have those self esteem issues. So, to Beeswax, the Rookie, Erika, and Julia I'm sorry I wasn't a better sport. So you guys can, and should head on over and check them out.



***************************************************************************************
Speaking of the spotlight, I lost. But one huge consolation: Only by 9 votes. 9! I am personally astounded that it was that close. So for all of you out there who voted for me, I thank you for helping me go down swinging!
And honestly, I'm a little bit glad that it is over because I was really feeling the pressure to write something terribly clever and it just wasn't happening. . .

***********************************************************************************
Lately, I'm kind of resenting my dinner making responsibilities. It is the one chore that doesn't move. Meaning, I can't plan my cooking time around nap time or guaranteed happy baby time. It always looms around 5:00 every day. Right about the same time the kids energy is winding down and their tempers are winding up. And they think they need snacks RIGHT NOW. Because they are starving to death and won't live another moment without food.



Everyday around 3:30 or 4:00 I start thinking about what I have planned for dinner that night. And more often than not, I realize that I have to go start in the next 20 minutes if we want to eat by 6:00. And then I talk myself out of it, and decide that I'll just make something easier. And then 5:00 rolls around and I realize that I still don't know what to make, because in the past week I have already made all four of the meals that everyone will eat that takes 30 minutes. And then, I'm screwed.



And really, it's not the cooking. I honestly don't mind the cooking. It's the attempt at cooking while 4 little people are making unreasonable demands or screaming in my ear. That is the hard part.



And I'm getting to the point that I dread the end of the day. Not good. Not good at all.



**********************************************************************************

Quick follow up to yesterday: It ended up being a pretty good day. Yes, my motivation was shot by the lack of water, because not only could I not shower, but I couldn't do dishes or laundry either. So we took it easy. And the water came back. We got lunch from Sonic and had a picnic in the backyard. Everyone took late naps and the girls and I did a mother's day project for my mom. Everyone played outside after that and the baby fell asleep in my arms. And I let him sleep. So dinner was late. But everything turned out after all.

14 comments:

Carolyn said...

Sing it sister. I've got the dinner time blues too. Nobody will eat it. Nobody will help me.

This is why we have pancakes for dinner at least once a week. It's the only thing everyone will eat :)

Heidi Ashworth said...

I am so with you on this dinner making thing (as well as the MMB spotlight thing--except that I lost by about 800 votes--yeah--800!!). I hate the witching hour, as I call it. I hate making dinner and have the kids start coming into the kitchen saying that they must EAT RIGHT NOW and the fact that the more dishes I dirty in preparation of dinner, the less likely they are to like what I made. The whole thing is just such a bugaboo! (I totally do that same mind talk thing, too.)

Kristina P. said...

You weren't a bad sport at all! Why would you mention the other blogs? I voted for you.

heather said...

I hear you about the dinner thing, only I really have no good excuses other than I just don't feel like it all the time. Mostly I HATE doing dishes and cooking and eating requires that I DO the dishes and I really, really hate it. I just might rather eat bugs.

hippyrochelle said...

I agree with you on the dinner, except I talk myself out of it because I get sick of eating the same 5-10 meals over and over again.

Melinda said...

I'm sorry you lost, I think if I were nominated I would go a little nutso! I think you handled it much better than I would! I hate dinner time too, it sucks. Period.

wonder woman said...

9 votes!! That's a close race! MAJOR props to you for getting so many votes!

I could have written the SAME THING about dinner yesterday. That's why we had shepherd's pie. Less than 5 minutes of prep time. And it seems the only thing I can occupy my boys with is the TV. And the only thing on is Stupid Bob Stupid Pants. MAN I want a DVR.

p.s. I hung out with Kiera today. It ended up being a huge spontaneous playdate with Elisha, Liz, Leah, Kristina and another mom that's new. I thought of you and wished you could be there!

Rachel said...

Alyssa, don't tell me these things! You break my heart!

Debbie said...

Sorry for all the contest stress.

Something about that magical time of day--everyones brains are taken over. My energy is zapped, the kids moods are zapped and a big chore is luming.

Brenda and Rhett said...

I totally understand!!! Except that I only have two kids, not four, which must mean you feel it twice as much as I do! That's the hardest time of day for our family, and it's so tempting to have 4:30 movie time!

Melissa Bastow said...

Dinner, ugh. That's why I keep a big bag of pancake mix in my pantry - for when I am ONCE AGAIN staring at a bag of frozen chicken going, "Ummmmmm..." 20 minutes before dinnertime. And just because I feel like saying this today, and it sort of fits into the topic of my comment, my husband made dinner for mothers day while simultaneously dealing with the kids - - it took him 2 hours and by the time he was done I'm surprised one (or more) of our kids weren't duct taped to the ceiling. Not that this earns me anything more than one night free of cooking, but now he might better understand why I hate making dinner. (Except that lesson should wear off in, oh...3 days, don't you think?)

Amateur Mother said...

I agree, cooking is fine, it's the cooking with clinging that gets me down. Sorry about the spotlight loss.

pan x 8 said...

I love making dinner and I hate making dinner. I'm with you - I plan to start around 4:00 so I can get my ideas put together and we still end up having dinner late!

At least it gets dark later and I don't actually see the time fly by in front of me!

Mormon Mommy Blogs said...

I didn't think you were a bad sport at all!

You rock!

The end.

~motherboard

Copyright Trapped Between a Scream and a Hug

Meaning all content on this blog is mine. So you better not steal it. Seriously.