May 12, 2009

Tuesday Confessional

I'm glad Heather's doing this today, because I was out of writing ideas!

I went to school at BYU-Idaho in Rexburg. Known for it's ice and red rock. I fell twice while I was going to school up there. And neither one of those falls had anything to do with ice and everything to do with my clumsiness. (Is that even a word?) They both also had to do with stairs. But don't worry. We're not talking flights of stairs (although I've done that plenty of times too. Maybe I should clarify. These are the two times that I fell ON CAMPUS. Not while I lived there. That is a whole 'nother story!)

Anyway, the first time I fell I was walking along with my roommate and at the time, my fiance. We were walking next to the building so as to avoid the melting puddles of snow. This put us in the path of a small porch-like set of stairs that we had to walk over. I tripped and fell. I scuffed my almost new shoes and twisted my ankle. My husband still teases me that I was more upset about ruining my shoes than I was about hurting my ankle. (What can I say? The ankle healed. The shoes did not.) It was one of the prouder moments of my life.

The second time I was coming out of a building. The Smith, to be exact. I walked out the door, tripped and fell down 2 stairs. This resulted in a hole in the knee of my pants and a scraped knee. Problem: I was wearing borrowed maternity pants at the time. Which I then had to replace. Only blessing: I am relatively certain that no one saw me fall.

15 comments:

Heidi Ashworth said...

I hate falling down! Yucko!

Erin said...

Hey, I was just going to leave you a comment when you left me one!

I don't trip much, luckily, but that's because I don't get around much :) I hate to exercise. Blech.

I'm sorry you ruined some maternity pants. It's so frustrating to pay so much money to only wear those things for 4-5 months!

Kristina P. said...

Sadly, when I fall I usually have an audience.

Melinda said...

I am like the falling down QUEEN! I fall constantly, especially when I wass younger, but it's always highly visible and highly enjoyable for those that can see...

Lauren said...

I fell loads of time on campus, too. (Probably more than once while coming out of the Smith!). I remember having red rock stained paints from my falls. You were not alone!!

Rachelle said...

oh boy - we are twins! i fell all the time at Ricks - and mine was witnessed by everyone. my favorite? -when i fell out of a moving truck (door opened, girl on my lap flew out, and i flew out) as my roommate stepped on the gas and turned the corner really fast in front of the practice football field - during practice of course! it was actually really bad - i had to have therapy for a long time to heal all the skin that got mangled with the nice red rock they use to melt the snow! lovely! I still have the scars to prove it - i should have got therapy for my bruised ego too. LOL! you are so cute!

~Thought's By Dena~ said...

OUCH....I dont fall down much but you better believe when I do others are going to see it!!!!

heather said...

I'm often a total klutz! (is that the way to spell that word?)

ABrunettesLife said...

I fell down during what should have been a proud moment. I started running my very first half marathon, I had been running all of two minutes, when I hit a pothole, twisted my ankle and just kerplopped. I didn't even know it was happening until I was on the ground facing the other direction. The good news: there were only about 3,000 other runners that day, so not that many people noticed. (right.)

pan x 8 said...

I hate falling! Sorry that happened and you were PREGNANT! I hate replacing borrowed clothes but at least you didn't hurt yourself badly.

I remember being 13 at a church activity and I was wearing a skirt, trying to look all cute in front of my brother's friend and slipped with my skirt on my face. I hate that he picked me up but loved it too! hahahaha!! Sometimes falls are for a good laugh many many years later!

Melissa Bastow said...

In all seriousness I'm writing a book, and it starts out with her falling down at Ricks. NO LIE. And I didn't even know you when I wrote it. Ok, technically I don't "know" you now, but you know, I didn't even read your blog when I wrote it - - I just figured with my kind of coordination I could pull off the scene really well.

That Girl in Brazil said...

It's almost a shame no one saw you - because you'd get all kinds of fawning over. Pregnant lady falling down? LOTS OF SYMPATHY.

wendy said...

Well Rachel, it's no fun if no one sees you fall ---my husband says I am sick and wrong that way. I too went to Ricks --BACK WHEN IT WAS RICKS instead of this stupid BYU-Idaho stupid name.

Jodie said...

Oh man, that stinks! When we first moved to Washington from Florida, I had no clue how to walk on ice and snow. I was leaving my sister in laws house walking down the driveway. I am about 4 months pregnant and carrying my 1 year old. Well, I slipped on the iced over driveway. Why didn't anyone tell this Florida girl how to walk in the winter around here? Thank goodness my son was OK. I was OK too, but I have had several other close calls trying to learn the proper technique for walking in the snow and ice. Maybe this winter (it will be my 3rd winter here) I won't fall or slip! At least that is my goal!

Carolyn said...

I try so hard to forget those moments and pretend they never happen. I know I've had many falls, but I have tuned out all the details :)

Selective memory. It rocks.

Copyright Trapped Between a Scream and a Hug

Meaning all content on this blog is mine. So you better not steal it. Seriously.