May 19, 2009

Waiting for the ONE

"Mom, when are we going to move?"

It's become a very common question around this house in the last couple of months. My girls were born to move. It's in their blood. My oldest has lived in seven different homes and her sister has lived in 6. So now, as we approach the 18 month mark in this home, longer than any other in my children's living memory, they want to know why things aren't changing yet.

And you know, as I think about it, I'm right there with them. When are we going to move? It is a neither financially or logically sound idea, but I find myself wondering the same thing. Maybe it comes from moving almost every other year for the past 10.

I have always thought that I didn't like change. That I didn't respond to it well. And even as I think about it, the thought of physically moving just sends shivers down my spine. But deep down I have a strange wanderlust that won't be satisfied until I find a new dwelling to make my own.

My husband wonders about this. He doesn't understand it. And I tell him, I just want to be in THE house. You know. The ONE. The one where we will spend the rest of our lives. The one our children will move out of. Where our grandchildren will come to visit. We will be settled and not have to worry about the color of paint affecting the retail value. (Does purple really do that?) We can do, pretty much what ever we want and we can take our time doing it, because really, we're going to live here forever, right?

But then I start to wonder. . . How will I know when I have found that house? And when I do will this indefatigable wanderlust leave me? And moreover, do I want it to?

I guess for now I'll just have to keep wondering. And fending off the moving question, until I have a better answer to give than "I don't know."

8 comments:

Carolyn said...

You truly are a girl like me. Except I do have a move coming up in the next few months. Three years in this house. It's a new record for longevity.

(FYI I have decided every house is the ONE. Because if you don't treat it that way it never becomes HOME. Decorate it, love it, live in it. You will be happier when you finally leave. Even if you do have to pain over some purple paint.)

Kristina P. said...

You are lucky to have kids who like moving!

hippyrochelle said...

we are the same way. We've moved so many times that it feels weird to stay in one place. And we don't feel like we are in THE house yet either. Our house is big and sufficient for us, even if we have a few more kids, but we always feel like its just another step toward THE house. But I am so sick of moving that I keep telling my husband that this one will have to do for the next 10 years, even though I don't know if I can wait that long.

Linds said...

I think we moved a dozen times in the first 12 years of marriage so I can relate.

SO said...

I would move more than we have but for my oldest son. And my husband hates change. That and we couldn't afford to. We were blessed to get into this house and here we will stay. Thankfully my hubs job is good and stable.

Emily said...

This is our 7th home since we've been married, and I think we're staying put for a little while at least. It really is a nice feeling. I am the kind of person who needs more stability in a place than I have had in the last few years. I think it's been hard on me to move so much, so I'm really glad we're reasonably settled now. I do think we'll probably move at least one more time until we're in our real forever home. But I like what Carolyn said. If you treat it like home you'll feel better. I learned that lesson by not doing it in the last house I was in, and I couldn't wait to get out of it. And it was not a fun year.

wonder woman said...

I long for that house, too. Won't it be great?!

The one time I remember moving as a child was a big deal. We looked for a home for almost 3 years before finding The One. But we all knew as soon as we walked in the front door. I don't know how, but we all knew.

heather said...

I'd love to have my "REAL" never have to move from house, but I don't think that'll be happening for a very VERY long time.

Growing up I moved once a year until I was nine. Then it became every five years. My parents are on their sixth year in their current house. The LONGEST they've ever been in one place, and guess what. They're thinking about moving.

I think the moving around bug just gets in the blood and you want to move. My grandma can't move houses anymore, so she constantly re-arranges furniture, paint, and pictures. Funny.

Copyright Trapped Between a Scream and a Hug

Meaning all content on this blog is mine. So you better not steal it. Seriously.