June 19, 2009

Please. . .

Have you ever noticed that you love your children more when they are sick?

Or is it just me?

Yes, they are whining and more fussy than they would usually be, but they actually have a good reason for it. Yes, they don't sleep quite as well as they usually would, but it's because they can barely breathe or they get woken up with coughing fits every five minutes. Yes, they want to be held more, but it's because they don't feel good and need comfort.

Maybe I just have more compassion when they're sick because I've been there. I know how miserable it is.

Or maybe it's because when my children are sick I tend to have a constant prayer running through the back of my mind.

"Please, let him go back to sleep."

"Please, let him breathe so he can sleep."

"Please, let him keep at least this water down."

"Please, give him peace."

"Please, Father, let him be alive in the morning."

I kind of think that might be it. . . My constant campaign keeps me in better touch with the Lord than I would usually be. I think there might be a lesson there that I need to learn. . .

11 comments:

Kristina P. said...

They are just so vulnerable when they are sick!

Carolyn said...

I use sickness as an excuse to cuddle all day long and let the house go.

Momza said...

Exactly. Perfectly said. My heart is tuned into Heavenly Father much more fervently than most any other time, when it comes to my children's well-being...whether they are physically sick or spiritually struggling...I seek after Him and crave that comforting feeling of peace that all will be well.

Linds said...

I'm a much nicer mommy when my kids are sick. I'm surprised they don't feign illness more often.

Debbie said...

I think it's easier to be patient when they're sick because everything is just so innocent, like you said they have a reason for feeling lousy.

Very well written post. Great insights!

J.J. said...

New to your blog. :)

This is sooo true. They are so cute when they are sick...poor things.

wonder woman said...

Love this.

That Girl said...

!!!!!!!!

Me too, me too! And your reasoning is much better than mine.

aaron&marianne said...

oh yes- more prayers said when we desperately need little ones to get better- i think this is natural and human- although i could always due with more personal prayer

Melinda said...

I don't think I've ever thought of it that way, great insight! How are you doing? Are they feeling any better?

Sell...Party Of 3 said...

I would totally agree with this. When Savannah is sick, she is more mellow...and therefore will snuggle/cuddle, watch a full movie without moving, etc. I don't wish for a sick child, but when it happens it is amazing how close I feel to the spirit, because I pray a lot harder and longer!

Copyright Trapped Between a Scream and a Hug

Meaning all content on this blog is mine. So you better not steal it. Seriously.