June 2, 2009

What would you do?

Let me set the scene:

You are in a department store. You have found a few cute items on the clearance rack and decide to try them on.

The first are a pair of cute khaki Bermuda shorts. With button back pockets. You try them on along with a shirt that is depressingly small on you, despite the size indicator. You pull the shirt off as quickly as possible, so as to avoid tearful breakdown, and notice something hard in the back pocket of the pants.

Unbutton the first pocket and reach inside. Pull out a STACK, not one or two or five, but a STACK of empty earring cards. Realize there is something in the other pocket. Open it up and pull out another stack of earring cards along with a tag that looks like it may have come off a pair of flip flops. Panic a little inside, because you know exactly what this means: someone has taken all of the earrings off the cards, put the cards in the pants pocket so no one would see them, and then walked off with many stolen earrings. And possibly some flip flops.

So, what do you do?

Especially when you realize that out of the stack of things selected from the clearance rack the only thing you want to purchase is that pair of shorts?

Do you:

A: Put the cards back in the pants pocket and hope no one notices them when you buy them.

B: Put all of the cards in your diaper bag and hope they don't set off any alarms when you leave.

C: Throw all of the cards under the bench in the dressing room and quietly leave, hoping no one will notice and question you.

D: Take the stack of cards to the fitting room attendant and explain what happened, and hope that they don't put you under suspicion and make you pay for all the stolen earrings.

So, seriously--what would you do?

21 comments:

Emily (Good Frau) said...

D.

I don't think they would suspect you. Why would you let them know about it if it was you?

There's probably not much they could do about it at that point, but the other options might actually make you look guilty if they did notice them.

Momza said...

Give the cards to the nearest store associate. They see that kinda stuff all the time.

Aubrey said...

I'd give them to an associate. Here in Utah they're pretty good at taking you for your word on stuff like that. :)

Carolyn said...

For sure D.

They wouldn't suspect you. No thief is dumb enough to turn in evidence :)

Melissa Bastow said...

I would choose D. I have a serious guilt response. One time I almost stole toddler toothpaste because it was tucked behind the carseat in our cart. When I found it out at our car I freaked out and had to run back in to pay the $2 for it.

heather said...

D.

Kristina P. said...

Definitely D.

Rochelle said...

Definitely D. Who would turn themselves in? Plus if they did suspect you, it's not like you had the stolen earrings on you, right. They'd be forced to believe you.

janae said...

Oh man, that stinks. I'd go straight to the attendant and explain the whole thing. Especially because if you do anything else you make yourself look suspicious, you know? Why are people so dishonest?! Ugh.

ps. I'd love to see you again! Email me your email/phone number. :)

~Thought's By Dena~ said...

oh for sure Id tell someone....that would freak me out too!!! But I certainly wouldnt want anyone thinking it was me so Id show them what I found!!!

Rachelle said...

D... for sure!

Erin said...

I definitely would have gone to someone and told them. What a sneaky little sneak somebody was to have pulled the cards off of stuff! I never even would have thought of that (not like I would have done it anyway, but you know what I mean).

Linds said...

Were you with or without your kids? Not that that makes a difference in what you should do. I'm just wondering how you found time to actually try something on at a department store! =) D for sure. No one could suspect sweat little Rachel of shoplifting!

Debbie said...

So not cool. I hate that fast beating heart that things like this are sure to bring on. It's not like you did anything wrong but my heart is sure to beat like that anyway.
I'm curious. Did you get your cute shorts?

Susan said...

AFTER having a full blown anxiety attack (I'm 39 and my heart still races buying beer or wine and being asked for ID) - I would totally take them to the sales associate.

But I would ramble on nervously for like 20 minutes totally imposing as a guilty earring stealer, because that's just what I do when I get nervous.

And then they'd probably call security and I would cry.

pan x 8 said...

The way I am (and my husband gets annoyed sometimes) I'd have taken them to the attendant and told them what I found. I'm such a naive believer in the goodness but that sometimes gets me into unnecessary trouble.

I seem to take the time out to do the good things when to the other people it doesn't matter... what do we do when we know better??

Loralee and the gang... said...

D.
For sure. If you act like you are NOT guilty, people are more likely to assume so. If you act guilty, say, by hiding them under the bench, who's to say that there are no camera's in there (!) And that they only see you hiding them, and not anything about you finding them in the pants pocket.
Definitely D.
So what DID you do?
:~D

That Girl said...

D. No question. And I have no doubt they'd believe you. Look at your sweet innocent angel eyes! OBVIOUSLY you're not a thief.

I should go into detective work or something ...

wonder woman said...

D.

What did you do?

Ariana said...

I'd take the cards to the fitting room attendant for sure. What'd you end up doing?

3 Peas in a Pod said...

I would give them back to the attendant and explain what happened. What did you do? I wouldn't let it deter me from buying a pair of shorts that fit and which I actually liked that's for sure!!!!

Much love from NJ,
Sue
xoxo

Copyright Trapped Between a Scream and a Hug

Meaning all content on this blog is mine. So you better not steal it. Seriously.