July 6, 2009

Did you miss me?

Well, did you?



No?



Okay, just pretend, okay?



Please?



The laptop still isn't here. Sadly, stupid Dell is all backed up. But the muse arrived before the media and there's really nothing I can do about that. . .



For my return from the dead post, I want to tell you a little story. A long time ago, when I lived in Rexburg, ID and had only one child, I watched a lot of movies. We didn't have cable and bunny ears in Rexburg are a joke. So when that one child slept I would sew or scrapbook and watch movies.



We had a pretty limited collection at the time (who am I kidding. We still have a limited collection. Now it's just padded out with Disney and veggie tales. . .) and so once I had watched all of our DVDs 3 times through, I started watching them with the directors commentary. In my collection is the classic chick flick, You've Got Mail. I used to have this movie memorized. So when I watched it with the director's commentary, I paid a little bit more attention to it than I think I would have, otherwise.



One of the comments that the director/writer made really stuck out to me. She said that for most of us, we have already fallen in love. We are married or in a committed relationship. But we still yearn for those falling in love moments. The thrill of the first time your hands touch. The excitement of that first kiss. The horror at the thought that he might not really like you, and even more that he just might. But since we can't live these things all over again, all the time, we live vicariously through movies and books, and fall in love again with the characters.



And I couldn't get over how true that is. Most of my favorite chick flicks make me feel what the characters are feeling. And while I was on my little bloggy break I read a book that fit the bill as well. Maybe you've heard of it?





It was a birthday gift (Thank you, thank you, by the way!) And I loved it. Now, I have to tell you it is a romance. BUT, unlike other typical romances where two people fall in love and that is all that happens, there is so much going on that at one point I couldn't put it down. I was actually late for a trip to visit my Grandma because I started reading while I was blow drying my hair and couldn't stop!
(possibly the best part about this experience, I know the author! Well, in blog world I know her. And she is lovely. If you want to get to know her too just head on over. . .)
I'm pretty excited to read the sequel, which has just been finished. . .
If you want to fall in love without actually having to take drastic steps feel free to head to your library to check it out, or even better click on the recommended books button over there <----- and buy a copy for yourself! Because you know you're going to want to read it more than once. . .

13 comments:

Carolyn said...

I missed you thisssssssss much!

I've seen that blog/book around and have been tempted to read it. You are inching me closer...but it's not at the library so I'd actually have to spend money...

janae said...

Ooooh, I've so done the movies/commentary thing! That's what happens when you don't have a great collection and you're too poor/cheap to do blockbuster. Thank heavens for the library and (an occasional) redbox!

ps. my favorite commentaries are on Finding Nemo and Sense & Sensibility (the one w/ Emma Thompson). So hilarious!!

Kristina P. said...

It's so true! Women love that romance crap.

But Heidi's book is not crap. It's wonderful!

Sher said...

I absolutely adore Heidi! I've been meaning to pick up her book, but haven't yet. Thanks for reminding me, I'll have to go out and get it now!

Momza said...

"You've Got Mail" is my favorite movie. I've watched it more times than I can count. Well that one and "sense & sensability"...two of the best romance movies ever.
Nice post! Glad you're back!

Loralee and the gang... said...

I NEED a good book! And I love your comments about it so much (we all love to feel the feeling of falling in love, over and over!) that I think I will go on over and order it! So, Heidi, it's thanks to Rachel Sue that you will have sold another book! Woo hoo!
:~D

Heidi Ashworth said...

Rachel Sue--Loralee is absolutely correct! She bought one and I owe you! This was a lovely review and as soon as I get around to it, I'll be adding it to my list in my sidebar. I have missed you and everybody--I haven't been blogging in over a month! So, I didn't really know you were gone BUT I'm glad you had such fun while you were at it. Love you! (I'm having some feelings for Loralee, as well.) :)

Linds said...

I may have to look that one up. I just finished Wuthering Heights again and I need a romance that doesn't leave me so disgusted with the heroine. Glad you're back.

wendy said...

well of course I missed you. I have that book as well and it was fun. how do people write a book --I mean, seriously, HOW

Debbie said...

I loved this book and even ended up buying one for my sister who I know is going to adore it. I'm glad during your bloggy break you were able to enjoy reading! I've missed it terribly this year, I read so much last year I just feel like each day I'm missing out on more books. haha

One of mine (and awesomely enough) hubby's fav movies is You've Got Mail. We've watched it SO many times plus the commentary and all that jazz so I totally know what you're saying. Good choice in great movies. :) Plus I just love Nora Ephron.

wonder woman said...

I've missed you, Rachel Sue!!

You've got mail is one of my faves, too. And I LOVE commentary. You're totally right -- one of the reasons romances do so well is that they take the reader through all those feelings they long for. (Honestly a big reason I like Twilight. Don't hate me.)

And I have looked and looked for this book at my wimpy library, but to no avail. I'll either request it or use my illegal card up north. Ü

The Crash Test Dummy said...

Hi Rachel Sue,

I'm going to do a wordless wednesday post just for you tomorrow!

I hope you can come to Olive Garden on Saturday. I want to meet you!

pan x 8 said...

I have missed you ~ good to have you back! Thanks for the book suggestion, will totally check it out!

And I totally think it's true about falling in love all over again and again. My husband and I of almost 11 years (on the 18th! woohoo!) find moments in our life where we go back through our first times and re-live. They are great moments and I love having those mushy "I love you..." moments with him! ;p

Copyright Trapped Between a Scream and a Hug

Meaning all content on this blog is mine. So you better not steal it. Seriously.