July 16, 2009

Heaven lies about us

I had a dream about my grandparents the other night. My grandma had gotten out of the hospital not too long ago, but it had been about 6 weeks since I had seen her and I couldn't figure out what I had been doing the whole time that she had been home. I was berating myself for not coming to visit sooner. I sat down with both of my grandparents at their house and we started talking. I don't remember what we talked about but I do remember thinking to myself that I had never had an adult conversation with my grandparents before and I couldn't figure out why. Before too much longer it occurred to me. I was having a dream and both my grandparents had been dead for years.

I was sad when I woke up. I miss them still. I practically grew up at their house, right around the corner. We played there every summer when my mom went back to school before we did. All through elementary school my mom dropped us off every morning because she had to leave for school around 7 and our school didn't start until 8:15. I remember making scrambled eggs at Grandma's and drinking real hot chocolate. None of that out of can mix. We built a house/fort in their backyard. We mowed the lawn. We picked the peas and the carrots and ate grapes off the vine that weren't quite ripe. Those were my favorite. We ate apricots off the tree and in the spring we cut lilacs to take to our teachers. We did fireworks in the driveway every year and always ate Thanksgiving and Easter dinner there. We called Grandma and Grandpa when we got sick at school and they came to pick us up. Grandma called every day to check up on us. (It's where I get my worrisome side. And you thought I was bad. . .) She always brought us grape juice when we were sick and would tickle our necks when we were sad.

Grandma's turkey and gravy was unrivaled. And still is. Although Aunt Carolyn comes mighty close. And even though the Thanksgiving fruit salad came almost completely out of a can I still crave it every year. And the deviled eggs on Easter. Those I make. And they're not quite as good, but they must be had every year.

I read a book recently called The Death and Life of Charlie St. Cloud. It was interesting. Parts of it dealt with the afterlife. And one of the things that the author stated about the afterlife was that those who have passed on can travel through dreams. That is when they visit us. I kind of like to think that the night I had my dream, my grandparents decided that it was time to visit their granddaughter. And just so you know, even though it was a dream, she loved every minute of it.

11 comments:

wonder woman said...

What a wonderful dream.

How fun for you to have such a close relationship with your grandparents. Sounds like a blessed childhood.

Great post.

Rachelle said...

I love when that happens!! It's usually followed by a few tears for a couple of days from missing them so much, but such a neat dream. Your grandparents sound wonderful just like you!

Rochelle said...

My sister-in-law passed away just this past december. She was handicapped and I used to care for her while my in-laws were working or out of town. After she died I started dreaming about her all the time. She could talk and walk. I too feel like she is coming to visit me and have the conversations we couldn't have when she was alive.

What a great post. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Heidi Ashworth said...

I totally believe that about visiting each other through dreams. I believe even living people can do that. I can't tell you how many times I dreamed of having a conversation with an old friend and they called the next day--either they remembered dreaming about me, too, or they just were thinking of me. I'm so sorry you miss them but how lovely that you got to spend time with them!

~Thought's By Dena~ said...

I lost my mom 10 1.2 yrs ago and I love it when she pops up in my dreams....just wish I could reach in and grab her and bring here her with me!!

Momza said...

Well that choked me up. Your grandparents sound like treasures. What a gift to come to you in your dreams.

Mrs. Townsley said...

Crying...I have dreams about them at least once a month. I think about them all the time. I can't believe I was only 12 when Grandpa died because it feels like I have a lifetime of memories with him. We were there everyday I guess. Our childhoods were so good and I want my future kids to have the same thing...this is the only thing (beside you and your kids) keeping me in Utah.

Linds said...

Makes me miss grandma Dolly!

Barbaloot said...

I have family members that have had experiences like that as well. That's neat that you got to.

I always feel like my grandparents are in my life for the big, special occasions. They're there, even if I can't see them.

heather said...

What a touching post. It reminds me of my grandma. I've had very few dreams with her in them, BUT there have been several times in my life when I've FELT her. The last one was a few months ago when I miscarried. I swear if the veil had been lifted for me that night, I would have seen her sitting on the bed next to me. Her and about three or four other women -who come to think of it, where probably my other grandmothers.

Melinda said...

Your experience sounds a lot like mine, my grandparents lived next door to us and we visited with them every day. I'm lucky to have all four of my grandparents still but every once in awhile the phone rings and I'm terrified its the call telling me one of them have passed. :( Thanks for your great post, very insightful. :)

Copyright Trapped Between a Scream and a Hug

Meaning all content on this blog is mine. So you better not steal it. Seriously.