July 7, 2009

In which I use the word "toodle" . . . Emily, this one's for you


What are your feelings about manners in the grocery store?



I'm pretty sure they apply there right?



The other day I had my brood with me in the grocery store. It wasn't packed, but still kind of busy. I had my boys strapped in the monster race car cart (these things are like 20 feet long, I swear) and then each of my girls had their own little kid cart. I was aiming my monster cart into a line. Granted, the size of the cart requires extra maneuvering and time in order to make into the tiny checkout lane, but that was obviously what I was doing.


Out of nowhere a skinny little old lady toodled her way in between my gigantic cart and the magazine rack in order to make it into the check out line before I did.


I just stood there with my mouth open for about two minutes. I could not believe what had just happened. There was no apologetic glance. No shrug of the shoulders, acknowledging that she knew what she had done was wrong and feeling slightly guilty about it. Nothing. She went straight the the cashier and took her precious time digging out the coupons, double checking the receipt and writing out a check. Who writes checks at the grocery store, anyway? (Mom.)


Now, let me clear one thing up. Had this little old lady politely approached me, showed me her 4 items in her basket, explained that she was in a hurry and asked to go in front of me, I would have graciously allowed her to do so. I know that I pose a formidable sight with my 3 full carts. (2 of them are mini carts, but their overflowing nature just adds to the illusion). I am probably the last person at the grocery store that you want to be behind. But really, "toodling" as quickly as possible so as to duck in front of me? Is that really the most effective solution that you could really come up with? In all of the sage wisdom that you have accumulated over the years, there was nothing else you could do?


And so I ask you, my fellow bloggers, do manners not apply at the grocery store?

11 comments:

Kristina P. said...

They apply everywhere!

Well, except to me, of course.

Erin said...

I try my hardest to be kind at the grocery store. In this small town, usually people are pretty kind. But yeah, when I see someone who is obviously rude (versus just being oblivious), I give them the meanest look. I'm sure it doesn't do anything...maybe next time I should get up the guts to say something!

Melissa Bastow said...

Those car carts are awesome, until one of the biggies decides they want to sit in it, except the littlies either can't walk, or will run away when unleashed, and then the amount of screaming and fit throwing makes them evil beyond reason. Also evil - old ladies who cut in line without remorse. She better have been senile.

Mrs. Townsley said...

Thank you for the dedication. I don't understand people. And that was the most correct use of "toodle" I've ever heard. Although whenever I hear the word, which is rare to never, I always think of the first time I heard it...And there was President Hunter just toodling down the hall in his wheel chair...

Carolyn said...

Your are most certainly right. Shame on the old lady. It just goes to prove that some people never grow up.

Rochelle said...

What a rude old lady!! Just because you have a lot of stuff and she doesn't, does not give her the right to do that. Especially when you have 4 kids with you!! you should have hit her heels with the cart! (maybe that's too harsh?)

Melanie said...

I think some old people spend a lifetime mastering the "oh I didn't see you there". I see it all the time at my pharmacy. There will be a huge line of people and some old man thinks he can just walk up to the counter, cutting in front of all those people, only to tell the cashier he didn't see that mass of angry people. (Don't worry, we make them go to the end of the line, because yes, manners apply everywhere.)

Debbie said...

Ugh. People. Maybe she thought she was invisible. Good thing she was wearing clothes.

wonder woman said...

When I was just learning to drive, I was in accident involving an old man. I had turned the corner (into the correct lane), signaled, and changed lanes. An old man was turning out of an assisted living facility. He turned INTO my car. He hit the tail end. (Meaning: I had successfully changed lanes when he ran into me.)

I honestly think he didn't see me. He probably saw me when I was in the other lane, looked the other direction, then went for it. And ran smack into me.

She honestly may not have realized where you were going.

It's still rude, though.

The Oesch Chronicles said...

I hate rude people at the grocery store.. It is one of my biggest pet peeves... Plus I hate people that do NOT know how to use the self checkout... or go to the self checkout 12 items or less with a cart full of groceries!!!

pan x 8 said...

They do but there are certain age groups that don't apply them. The age group you just experienced and the teenager age group!

Most times I'm not even paying attention because my little shoppers are always trying to add to our cart even as I am paying. I'm sure if I paid more attention, I'd notice the "hmmmph" looks given to me and my load I carry!

Copyright Trapped Between a Scream and a Hug

Meaning all content on this blog is mine. So you better not steal it. Seriously.