July 17, 2009

Randomness Friday

How do you feel about going on vacation? Is it really a vacation for you? Because taking four small children on a road trip to CA isn't really my idea of a vacation.

Part of that is my fault. I'm kind of anal when it comes to preparing for a trip. Every possible situation must be prepared for. Yes, we are going to California, but every one must have a jacket. And socks. And at least 2 swimsuits. And a hat. And a pair of sunglasses. And like 6 tubes of sunscreen. Do you see where I'm going with this?

And that is just when we get there. What about on the way there? We need crayons, coloring books, movies, books, toys and all kinds of food. But no fruit or veggies. Because you can't bring those to CA.

So basically, this isn't a vacation for me.

************************************************************

You know what I realized the other day? My children have never had cotton candy. I don't know how that is possible. I love cotton candy. Why is it that there always seemed to be cotton candy everywhere, but I haven't seen a cotton candy machine in years. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong places.

Apparently, I am on the search for some cotton candy. Any advice?

************************************************************

I finally got my laptop. I love it! Currently, though, we don't have a wireless network. So the whole blogging on the laptop thing isn't really working out. Once we get back from vacation we'll get a router, but until then, I'm still kind of at the mercy of the baby to get on the computer. So the comments are still kind of sparse. Soon, soon it will be better. . .

************************************************************

Speaking of comments, I have a quick question. How do you handle your blog load?

When I first started social blogging, I read a few and then went looking for more interesting blogs. And I found quite a few. And still read them. However, I occasionally will come across another great blog. And I think, you know, I should follow them. But then I think, I already read a lot of blogs. And I struggle to comment consistently on these blogs. Not because I don't want to comment. Because I do. And I usually have something to say. (Because I'm hurting for adult conversation around here and blog commenting is really about the closest that I can get.)

So, what I wonder is, how do you decide who's blog your going to read, and whose you are going to comment on? Do you just read everyone who comments on your blog? Or do you just read who ever you want?

11 comments:

Melissa Bastow said...

Road trips with kids - ugh. And I'm with you on the whole preparedness thing. But my husband isn't and gets ticked when we have so much stuff to take. That is until it's raining and you get to say, "Good thing I brought the rainboots!" (Except that statement is usually followed by something I forgot, like umbrellas...)

I'm very picky about who's blogs I read. Not because I think only certain people deserve my attention, or because there aren't a billion awesome blogs out there. But just because I have such limited time to read them.

Momza said...

As for vacations: I don't relax until we are IN THE CAR....until then I fret about what to bring. Once I'm in the car, I let it go.
As for following blogs, I'm alot like you in that regard...I have a few I like to follow regularly and then I blog hop around when I have more time and leave comments like a comment-fairy and disappear! Some, I just go back to by following another person's blog...like Cake Wrecks...I love it, but I don't follow...I go thru Eternal Lizdom to get there.

Sher said...

I like taking my kids camping, but if we go to hotel, I'd rather it be a relaxing trip, and leave the monkeys home.
It's nice we have work trips for that.
I've found I haven't been reading or commenting much this summer. it's hard when there are kids to entertain.
I put my blogs I follow in different folders in my reader, and I tell myself I'll only go through one folder at a time. And sometimes I only go into my reader once a week.

Erin said...

Did you read today's post on MMB? It addresses this. And I definitely need to follow their advice, because as it is I spend too much time reading and commenting on people's blogs!

Rochelle said...

basically if a vacation consists of being trapped in the car for hours and hours with three kids, it definitely doesn't feel like vacation, it feels like torture!

Linds said...

LOL! I just sat down to take a break from my own frantic packing. Hopefully the actual VACATION part of the vacation will be fun. The getting ready and traveling part I could do without too.

I follow a lot of blogs but only comment if I can think of something worthwhile to say within 5 seconds.

Melinda said...

I always look forward to vacations, and then when we're on vacation I wonder why I was so excited, but hopefully it will be great, I really hope so!

I have a friend (or TWO even) that own cotton candy machines and bring me cotton candy when I want some, its AWESOME!

I've had a hard time branching out of the blogs I've been reading for awhile, only because I don't have time to go searching like I used to. I only really comment anymore on the blogs I really enjoy and want to comment on, if it takes too long to read, then I usually only read them when I don't have a lot to do or have a lot of time. I could go on and on, but instead I'm going to go over to MMB and see what they wrote.

janae said...

Sports games usually have cotton candy. Maybe you could come to our next family get together. My aunt owns a cotton candy machine and brings it to all the get togethers. :)

Truthfully, I only ever read and comment on the blogs of people I know personally. And even then I generally only read the blogs of people I feel pretty close to. There are a handful of people I know who occasionally comment on my blog, but I don't feel that close to them so I only catch up on them every once in a while. Good luck deciding what works for you!

Debbie said...

I've been achin' for a road trip and everytime I get close something huge changes and we can't go. Literally like the last 4 times. Ugh! I'm like you though with the packing. I tend to be SUPER prepared aka really really packed. haha.

Walmart sells cotton candy. True it's not fresh from the machine but it's pretty good. Also the movie theaters sell it (although it's like $1 at walmart and $5 at the movies).

Liz @ Sugarplum Creations said...

The "vacation" thing is still a little fresh for me as we just got back from a week-long camping trip last Sunday. Yeah, that's no vacation ;) It takes a lot of work to plan and prepare for the car ride, and if something is forgotten it's all mom's fault ;) Good luck with that :)

As for blog following and commenting. I'm in that same boat right now. I have such limited time on the computer {and really should be limiting it even more}, that it's hard to keep up with all the great blogs out there. Hopefully we'll both find our happy medium :)

Emmy said...

Well to answer your question sort of.. I just started following your blog :)
I first went out to find good reads like you did.. and there are a lot. I commented on some of the new ones I found but then sometimes forgot about them. But if that person came on commented on my blog, then I would remember and go back and would then often start following. I have found if I don't follow a blog I forget to check it, so I follow a lot. I usually try and comment on every blog I follow, at least every other post if not more, just because I love comments so much so I am sure those I am following do to. So it is a bit crazy and someday I might just have to stop, but that is what I do for now.

We are leaving CA today to go on a trip to Utah :) And yeah I am not looking forward to the drive

Copyright Trapped Between a Scream and a Hug

Meaning all content on this blog is mine. So you better not steal it. Seriously.