July 20, 2009

Torture?

I hate road trips. I guess I could blame my parents for not taking us on enough of them when we were kids, but I have the suspicion that I have always hated them. (Particularly because of the story about me crying when my parents put me back in the car when I was two on a trip to California.)

For a long time our annual road trip consisted of the one and a half hour drive to Wellsville, outside of Logan, every memorial day. That, I thought was long and horrible. Then my aunt and uncle moved to Idaho Falls and so we began the tradition of visiting them every summer. Then the 3 and a half hour drive was torture. (For more than just me and my sister, I suspect.)

When they moved to Utah and were only 20 minutes away, my parents decided we were ready to try the big trip: The 12 hour drive to Southern California to visit another aunt and uncle. We barely survived. I remember coming around Calhoun Pass singing show tunes and giggling uncontrollably because the other option was to break down into tears.


After that my parents decided to get more and more ambitious. I think the longest trip we managed was to South Dakota to see Mt. Rushmore. But between the rain storms and my mother's insistent reading aloud of every. single. billboard. I think that was the last straw. I'm pretty sure my parent's (at least my dad's) sanity just couldn't take it any more. Oh, we still went on road trips, but never quite as far as South Dakota again.


And here I am, in the car again, on the way to California. And once again, my choice is between giggles or tears. I hoping, amid the tears that surround me, that I can dredge up the show tunes at least one more time. . .

10 comments:

Momza said...

Sing Your Way Home! I love that primary song.
I love roadtrips! We pack our fav cd's, and plug the kids' dvd's in, hand the teens their ipods, m3 players and away we go!
Oh and the junk food rocks too!

Smile! You can afford a vacation!

Liz @ Sugarplum Creations said...

You're in my thoughts ;) We haven't attempted the road trips either. The farthest we've gone was last summer, to Southern Oregon, to visit my sister and her family. About a 5 hour drive. In September we are headed to Silverwood in Idaho . . . 6 1/2 hours in the car with a little one who hates.the.carseat. Should be fun :)

Rochelle said...

I think I told you already that I despise road trips (with little kids), so my thoughts are with you. Good luck in making it through!

Melissa Bastow said...

Holy cow, you're blogging FROM THE ROAD?!! That's awesome. And you have to remember that it's not an official roadtrip until someone throws up all over their carseat.

Emmy said...

I grew up in Illinois, my grandparetns lived in Idaho.. about every four years we would make that drive... and we wouldn't stop. We had enough drivers that we just kept going. (stopping for bathroom breaks of course)... now that is a long drive.

Kristina P. said...

I actually enjoy road trips, now that I'm older. Good luck and have fun!

Debbie said...

Good luck! Just think in no time you'll be swimming and sitting and your kids will be off playing with cousins.

janae said...

Good luck!! You can do it. If I can do Maryland to Utah via Michigan, North Dakota, and Montana, you can do anything!!!

wonder woman said...

One of the plusses of living in Utah and having family in Kansas is our annual trip out there!!!!!! It's really fun with a 3 and 4 year old.

We just got back. It actually was not as bad as I expected the 15.5 hour trip to be. Driving through the night helps, and of course the DVD players. A godsend.

In all honesty, I LOVED roadtrips as a kid. I was such a nerd and held on to the atlas, tracking every mile of our progress. I seriously thought the trips were a blast.

Emma said...

Oh the road trip are so much fun!! But I think you have to just buck up and go with the flow.. Every year me and my mom, and now my girls drive the 10-12 hours to Canada every year!! Some moments fun and some not so fun!!

Copyright Trapped Between a Scream and a Hug

Meaning all content on this blog is mine. So you better not steal it. Seriously.