August 14, 2009

Random Friday


I have commitment issues. Not with my husband. Not with my family. Nope, my commitment issues involve exercise.
I have been trying to be healthier. To focus on taking care of my body as opposed to dieting or simply trying to lose weight. And in the food category, I'm doing pretty good. The CA trip may have not have been the best thing for that goal, but overall I'm doing pretty well.

But I just can't seem to stick with anything. I tried running. Three days and I was done. I tried walking. I actually made it almost 2 weeks, but can't quite get back there. (It's just so stinking HOT!) I tried Pilate's, but that required lying on the floor in my bedroom, and you know how I feel about that. . . I just can't quite commit to anything. Any advice?

********************************************************Remember the Obscure sports network? One benefit of having it is getting to watch the swimming world championships, which is quite entertaining in comparison to some of the other things going on. . . Anyway, do you remember Dara Torres from the Olympics? She is a 42 year old swimmer who won a medal. They make a big deal of the fact that she is 42 and still competing. But do you know why I like her? She is one of the greatest examples in recent memory of great sportsmanship.

So you remember in the Olympics? Before one of the races she was in one of the other swimmers had an issue with her swimsuit, so what does Torres do? She approaches the judges on behalf of the other swimmer and then helps the other swimmer with her problem. An opponent. And then in the world championship. She came in 8th in the 50 meters. Kind of depressing. Right? Rather than sulk her way out of the pool, she heads straight to the winner to give her a hug and tell her congratulations.

This is the kind of athlete I want my children to see. Why can't more athletes be more like her?


*****************************************************

The day that every mother dreads has arrived. My 2 1/2 year old son has dis coved how to climb out of his bed. Pray for us. . .

13 comments:

Kristina P. said...

Exercise and I are at odds right now.

Jillybean said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your son escaping from his bed.
But just think of all of the exercise that you will get chasing after his new found freedom.

(I really am sorry)

Carolyn said...

I went years w/o exercise while I was having babies. Then finally this summer it clicked. I just didn't try to pressure myself. I went to the gym when I could and made a goal to be there at least 3 times a week. Some weeks it was 4 some 2 and I even skipped two whole weeks, but I started up again like nothing happened.

Find a gym with free child care!!!

Emmy said...

I do remember that, she really is amazing.
Good luck with the transition to the big bed. That really is not a fun time.

And well, I have no idea what to tell you about exercise as I am completely in the same boat.

Liz @ Sugarplum Creations said...

I'm with ya, sister. I cannot get into the exercise groove no matter how hard I try! You'd think a trip to the water park next month would be perfect motivation for a little exercise, but no . . . not even that can get me off my bum!

Good luck with your little escape artist :)

Linds said...

Find a friend that will exercise with you, either walking together or going to a pilates class together. That's the only way I can do it. Maybe Dara Torres!?!

Debbie said...

That is always a battle I have. The key for me is that I always change it up. I never do the same thing twice in a row. One day I'll do lower body and eliptical, the next upper body weights and the treadmill, the next swimming, the next upper body and bike.
I've been out of town for a solid month and I'm looking forward and dreading getting back into routine.

Lourie said...

Exercise is not a word I am even familiar with. I know I need to, but who wants to? when I saw your picture, I thought maybe you taking on swimming. I do remember her, and I remember thinking, "Wow, I'm a slug" I never even looked at her sportsmanship. Thank you for that. As for your son...I'm sorry he figured that out so soon. We use a baby gate on our sons door. It's a tall one. Fortunately for us, he hasn't tried to climb it. Good luck.

Terresa said...

It's great to read about her again, the 42 yr old Olympian medalist.

Yeah, I'm with you on the exercise thing. I love walking but with it 120 degrees where I live, our trail walks have ceased during the summer. I can't wait for the fall.

I also love yoga, but my problem with that is I'd rather be writing than yoga-ing. I've got to recommit myself to yoga again, it's almost like going to the temple for me -- so healing, uplifting, energizing.

That Girl said...

I'm all about Curves. Fun, fast, effective, cheap. Keeps me going.

When I can get out of bed, anyway.

Sara said...

Abigail just started climbing out of her crib too. Bedtime is a nightmare right now.

MommyJ said...

I LOVE Dara Torres. Swimming is my sport of choice, to watch, and for my own participation. It beats the heat, and it works muscles that you never, ever knew you had. Low impact too... only problem is you most likely have to pay to get a pool somewhere. That's what trips me up. I don't get to a pool near as often as I would like.

And I haven't exercised in months. So. I can't really talk.

Good luck though! And please don't let your two year old call my two year old. I don't want him to get any ideas!!

Sher said...

Bah! Don't stop running so soon! I used to hate running, then somehow I fell in love with it.

I could go on all day, but I'll be short:
With running, start slow, run 1 min, walk 1 min, and slowing increase the running time, until you don't feel like you need to walk.
Sign up for a 5k (that's what sold me). There is something about the exhileration of a race that nothing compares to.
Also, I love going to classes at the gym. It's a fun social hour, and I'm less likely to wimp out when other people can see me.

And I love (don't laugh) step aerobics.

Copyright Trapped Between a Scream and a Hug

Meaning all content on this blog is mine. So you better not steal it. Seriously.