August 7, 2009

So big. . .

This one is for Emmy. . .

So, we all know that I am pretty much terrified of spiders. Quite irrationally. So when I saw that I had inspired a bug carnival (really for lack of a better term) I decided to share with you yet ANOTHER spider story. As if you hadn't heard enough already.

About 3 or 4 days after moving into our current home I was in the basement, in our bedroom. Though I don't love the idea of having my bedroom in the basement, specifically because of spiders, it was really the most logical arrangement.

I had to put something away and when I turned on the light I saw the biggest spider I have ever seen outside of a cage at the zoo. In my bedroom. Thankfully, it was on the floor. So logically, the only place for me to be was on the bed. Engaging in a staring contest.

As I stood on my bed I considered my options. Well, option. I would just have to yell loud enough that my husband could hear me because there was just no way I was letting that thing out of my sight until it was dead. Really, and truly dead. So I yelled.

"John, I need you!"

We have been married long enough that he knows that tone. And as he came down the stairs he replied,

"Come on, it can't be that big."

Upon entering the room and seeing the spider, he changed his mind:

"It really is that big. . ."

And he became my hero all over again.

13 comments:

Emmy said...

Love it! I love how our husbands get to know us so well. "Come on, it can't be that big" just made me laugh!
Thanks for sharing and linking up.

Sarah said...

Ackkkkk...some of them are huge!!
Sarah

Emily (Good Frau) said...

Ha ha ha... I like this post. Husbands to provide a valuable service when they squish scary bugs.

Mrs. Townsley said...

Gross. Not just the spider. John and romantic stuff...yuck.:)

Rochelle said...

That's funny that he knew exactly what you meant!

Lourie said...

This was a good one! I also read the story that inspired the bug carnival. hehe. My spider story is similar to this one, in that the spider was HUGE. You may want to avert your eyes at the end. I included a picture of what I saw.

Kristina P. said...

This totally happened to me the other night! For the record, spiders don't freak me out, but my husband hates them.

BUT, I had come home from work, after midnight, and was curled up on the sofa with my soft blanket and laptop, reading blogs and watching TV. When a giant spider was crawling on my leg! I freaked out and yelled for my husband, who saved the day.

Melissa Bastow said...

I really hate spiders. I hope you sprayed for bugs after this.

Erin said...

Yikes! So scary! I'm glad your husband saved the day.

Barbaloot said...

I don't think a fear of spiders is irrational at all. Glad your husband can save the day!:)

CJ Sime said...

Bare hands, yes. Brave, no. The spider I smashed with my hand was tiny as far as spiders are concerned. Had it been bigger and blacker I probably would have broken my leg trying to get away quickly.

Thank goodness for hero husbands, eh?

Thank you for stopping by my blog!

Organic Meatbag said...

so many lines from this blog could have been a "That's what she said!"...hahahahaha!


But oh yeah, big spiders, even small spiders creep me the hell out too...

aaron&marianne said...

oooohhhh- no fun finding hairy spiders- i would never have done well on a mission in a south american country- where the insects are like triple the normal size...

Copyright Trapped Between a Scream and a Hug

Meaning all content on this blog is mine. So you better not steal it. Seriously.