August 30, 2009

A Sunday Epiphany

This morning I turned on the computer to check my email while I nursed the baby. Barely awake, my igoogle page popped up and the first thing I read had enough impact to wake me up the rest of the way:

"If your daily life seems poor, do not blame it; blame yourself that you are not poet enough to call forth it's riches. . ." Rilke

I shook myself. Lately, I have been feeling poor. We have gone on a financial diet as of late and I have felt the pinch. I see mom's with cute new clothes and I feel it. I see my children's friends with cute new clothes and I feel it. I drive by restaurants and I feel it. And so the last few weeks I have participated in an almost daily pity party.

Until I read the quote. And felt ashamed.

I have four beautiful children. The most severe of their health problems is a milk allergy. My husband and I both have able bodies and can care for our children as well as support them financially.

In health, I am rich.

I live in a house. A house that is cool in the summer and warm in the winter. A house that my children feel safe in. We sleep in beds, with warm blankets. We have wooden floors and carpet, not dirt to walk and crawl around on. We have a safe backyard where my children can play, where there is dirt and we can grow some of our own food.

In shelter, I am rich.

I have a pantry full of food and a basement with food stuffed in every possible nook and cranny. My children eat 3 meals a day. When they tell me they are hungry I can send them to the kitchen to find a snack. I send my daughter to school on a full stomach with a full lunchbox. I send my husband to work every day with a lunch.

In food, I am rich.

To my 4 children I am the center of the universe. They love me despite my imperfections, my loss of patience, my short temper. I have a husband who loves me. Who considers my happiness. There are 2 sets of parents who would take us in at a moments notice. Sisters and sisters in law who love us and would do almost anything to help us, should anything ever happen.

In love, I am rich.

I have a deep and abiding knowledge that my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ and Heavenly Father love me and watch over me, guiding me in the ways that my life should go, helping me to be a better person.

In faith, I am rich.

And so, at least for today, the pity party is over and I feel like the luckiest girl in the world.

16 comments:

Kristina P. said...

This was so needed today! It's sometimes hard to see the many riches in our life.

GRAMEE said...

sounds like it was a day of awakening for you also! i love days when your eyes
become clear and you see you do have it all.. your all is just different
than "their" all.


i began my day today on a spiritual search i found what i was looking for.
the lord works in mysterious ways..
i had the best meeting block today everyone "spoke" to me!

MommyJ said...

Beautiful post. I'm so glad you shared. It's amazing what a good dose of perspective can do. This was a reminder I needed. :)

Pam said...

Oh thank you so much for this post! I love it!

Rochelle said...

What a great post! Thanks for brightening my day.

Debbie said...

Such a fantastic reminder. Thanks Rach.

Lourie said...

The last few weeks I have been saying out loud, I have a house, I have food for the family. Much like your list, but unlike yours mine was more of a check list. Yours really put it in perspective. Thank you for that.

Liz @ Sugarplum Creations said...

I spent many years wanting for "things". If only I had a nicer house, newer clothes, etc. But a year or so ago I realized that those were, indeed, just things. I, too, am rich in love, faith, shelter, food, and so on, and that is definitely what REALLY matters. Of course I'll still get caught up in the wants from time to time, but I am so much happier or a daily basis when I remember my many riches. So glad you're feeling your many blessings.

Emmy said...

Yeah! It is so easy to get caught up in what we don't have. But I think we really all are blessed.
Hope your week continues to feel so rich.

Momza said...

::::APPLAUSE:::: Much -need and mucho appreciated!

Emma said...

Amen!!! sista

Linds said...

You make lunch for your husband everyday!?! Wow! He need's to count his blessings too, and you're the best one.

pan x 8 said...

It really is great. My pity party always finds me at the bottom of the barrel and it's usually a smile from one of my "precious gifts" that pull me out and help me remember!

Those are great reminders. Thank you.

Lauren said...

Beautiful! I needed that today. I think we often feel like that but there are SO many things we have that we sometime take for granted. Thanks for sharing!

Erin said...

What a nice post! I loved it! Thank you for sharing.

Mrs. Townsley said...

No more posts that make me cry. But even though I have a cat, if needed, your family could have her room...maybe the pantry for John :).

Copyright Trapped Between a Scream and a Hug

Meaning all content on this blog is mine. So you better not steal it. Seriously.