September 8, 2009

Happy Labor Day to me!

The other day my girls were trying to figure out why they didn't have school on Monday. And when we told them it was a holiday they were even more confused. They didn't know what colors to wear (such girls), they didn't know what festivities we would be attending and they couldn't figure out why no one was going to work. We thought about being all educational and looking up the background of Labor day and having a little history lesson. Except, do you know the history of Labor Day? It is not a history lesson for a 5 and 6 year old. So, we summed it up with "It's a day that no one goes to school or work."

Well, my 5 year old thought about this for a little while and approached me. "Mom, if no one has to work on Monday, does that mean that I don't have to clean my room?" My first inclination was to laugh. But then I though about it.

"Nope. You don't have to clean your room."

Then I decided that she was really on to something.

What I did yesterday:
Finger paint
push kids on the swings
have, not one, but 2 picnics in the living room
take the kids to Sonic
rent a movie
let them play with their friends all afternoon

What I did not do yesterday:
Anything remotely resembling work.

Happy Labor Day to me!

12 comments:

Barbaloot said...

I definitely wish I would've had this line of thinking for myself as well. All that work I did that could have been avoided!! :)

Linds said...

Great idea! I'll have to remember that for next year.

Carolyn said...

I should have done that! I think we may have a picnic tonight to make up for it.

The Boob Nazi said...

But what's the history? I was expecting some kind of awesome lesson today!

Emmy said...

Good for you! And that sounds like a wonderful day. Can I take another Labor Day today? ;)

Liz @ Sugarplum Creations said...

Oooh, why didn't I think of that? Instead it was work, work, work around here :)

~Thought's By Dena~ said...

sounds like the perfect way to spend a non-working day!!!!

That Girl said...

Amazing, wonderful, inspired, genius idea!

I'm all over that next year.

Chief said...

I had the same conversation with my kids. We played all day Saturday and Sunday so I told them that Labor day was there to make up for it. They cleaned their rooms and seemed ok with it (for the most part)

Rochelle said...

I should have thought of that. I'll remember for next year!

Kristina P. said...

Honestly, I don't even know all the history of Labor Day, except that I don't have to labor on it.

Lourie said...

I did laundry. Other than that,shopping and dinner at my moms. It was a pretty fun day.

Copyright Trapped Between a Scream and a Hug

Meaning all content on this blog is mine. So you better not steal it. Seriously.