September 11, 2009

O Remember, Remember

We didn't have TV. We had one, but we used it for videos from Horkley's, or the occasional splurge from Hollywood video. So it was a normal morning. We woke up, showered, ate breakfast and headed to school. On the way there John turned on the radio. His instinct was to switch the station as soon as he heard talking. That early in the morning, all he wanted was music. When he realized there was no music anywhere, he left the dials alone and we just listened. Maybe 5 minutes worth. Not enough time to understand what was going on. We had to be to class!

On the way to my English class with Brother Samuelson, I ran into my brother in law. He asked if I knew what was going on. I was somewhere between confused and nervous and worried about being late to class. I blurted out everything I knew, which wasn't much and almost ran to class.

When I got there it was solemn. And Brother Samuelson didn't talk about literature that day. He talked about our country. He talked about our freedoms. He reminded us to pray for our government, for our country and especially for the people affected by the tragedy.

Everyone on the campus of BYU-Idaho kind of wandered around in a daze that day. The crowds around the TVs in the MC were bigger than I had ever seen them.

It literally took days for me to truly understand exactly what had happened. I honestly didn't want to know. I wanted to go home and seclude myself in my safe little apartment and not think about the horrors happening across the country. And so I ignored it for as long as I could. I didn't want to mourn. I didn't want to fear. And so I didn't.

I don't remember the day that I finally accepted it. I think a little part of me still doesn't want to. But when I drive by a field full of flags, I get choked up. There are a lot of flags. And for a moment, it is more clear to me than ever before.
*picture taken from here.

8 comments:

Emmy said...

That definitely was quite the day.. so unreal. Thanks for sharing.

Kristina P. said...

Is that picture in Sandy from today?

Chief said...

I love walking through this field of flags each year. You can not truly feel the impact of how many lives were lost until you have walked here

Lauren said...

I remember that day on campus very well. It was so surreal. Then I talk to my students about it today--they were in kindergarten and don't remember a thing! Great post!

Stephanie said...

I still remember that day - clear as clear can be. I was married and in college. I walked into my philosophy class - and the mood was somber. I watched the TV screens in horror, in consternation. I called my husband. We talked, we prayed, we mourned.

It gives me goosebumps even as I write this out.

Such a tragic day for our country, for all of us.

stephanie@metropolitanmama.net

pan x 8 said...

I have friends who help set that up every year!

Lourie said...

I remember saying to my mom that downtown New York looked like a war zone. I still remember her chilling response, "It is." That's when it hit me how real it was. She did manage to comfort me and settle my nerves. Mom's rock that way.

also known as shell said...

Wonderful post Rachel

I worked at Deseret Book during that year and I didn't know anything until I got to work that morning. Everyone came into Deseret Book and just watched the TVs. I don't think I made one sale that day.

Copyright Trapped Between a Scream and a Hug

Meaning all content on this blog is mine. So you better not steal it. Seriously.