September 1, 2009

One mom's bad taste. . .

My niece turned 6 on Saturday, and my girls were of course invited to her birthday party. We were rushing around Saturday morning trying to get everyone ready to go, every thing organized when about 15 minutes before the party started (about the time we should have been leaving) I realized that I had completely forgotten to buy a birthday present.

This would push our departure time back even further. Dang.

So, we swung by the Dollar store close to our house. (Sorry, Sara. Now you know.) Before I ran in I took orders from my girls:

"Get her a necklace!"

"Get her a hair thing!"

"And flowers! Oh, she would love flowers! But get ones that no one has."

Let me explain. This was a dollar store. The only kind of flowers this store carries are the cheap, ugly fake ones. And that is exactly what they wanted.

So, I picked up a necklace, some headbands, some skittles and a bunch of bright pink roses. My girls heartily approved. Personally, I was embarrassed to present such a gift, but this wasn't from me, it was from my daughters. So I went along.

We got there, ate and my niece opened her presents. When she got to ours she pulled out the necklace first. There were a few "oohs!". Next, she pulled out the headbands. There were a couple "awwws!". I flashed an apologetic glance at her mom, excusing my poor taste by indicating that it was, in fact, my daughters'. But then the flowers came out.

Apparently, my daughters were right. She loved the flowers.

13 comments:

MommyJ said...

That's an adorable little girl. ;)

And really... the flowers aren't THAT bad.

Sara said...

Ha ha, that's funny. I've realized what Emma thinks is cool, her friends think is cool too. I've stopped trying to sway her into getting presents that I want to give. And she really did love the flowers. I thought it was funny how excited she was about the skittles. Thanks for coming. Really. Emma would have been so sad if Eden and Tayleigh didn't come. And thanks for the awesome present.

Kristina P. said...

That's funny! I'm glad they were a hit.

Carolyn said...

So sweet! Kids that age don't discriminate on quailty only the instant gratification of something new and pretty. Too bad they grow up and want ipods.

~Thought's By Dena~ said...

well that just makes shopping so much cheaper now doesnt it!!! hehe

Emmy said...

Awesome! We love the dollar store.. my kids are often as happy with a toy from there as they are Toys R Us.. and it sure saves me a lot of money.

Terresa said...

Great picture, great post.

Many times I get wrapped up in my own standard of what **I** think should happen vs. what my kids (or children in general) are OK with. And kids?? They're usually OK with a whole lot of stuff, even Dollar store stuff. ;)

Rochelle said...

that is so funny. you can only get away with dollar store gifts while kids are still little, so live it up now!

Melinda said...

I actually think the flowers are a fun idea!

Her face is adorable!!

Kekster's Palace said...

The Dollar tree is awesome. And her face is priceless. She really likes them.

Lourie said...

Ooops. Sorry Rachel, I was letting my daughter's friend use my laptop. They all have blogs under my daughter's account. She is kekster. Here I thought I was logged into mine, and it was hers. Sorry for the confusion.

pan x 8 said...

Kids always know what kids love best!

Brittany said...

I used to LOVE fake flowers as a little girl. Sounds like they knew what they were talking about. That's so cute. I love you blog...I've been away from my computer for so long. Everyone has so many changes and updates!

Copyright Trapped Between a Scream and a Hug

Meaning all content on this blog is mine. So you better not steal it. Seriously.