September 27, 2009


Saturday night was the general meeting for the women of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. This meeting was broadcast across the world, to members of our church in over 175 countries. The impact of such a gathering has never hit me with the power that it did last night.

As the music for the opening hymn started, I wasn't really thinking about anything. Just trying to focus my brain away from the diaper changes and chores and to do list for tomorrow, so that I could really listen. As I struggled to make the shift, we started to sing. And honestly, right off the top of my head, I couldn't tell you what the hymn was. But as soon as I started singing, I was overwhelmed. I could hear the women singing at the Conference Center in Salt Lake, and I could hear the women sitting around me, but somehow I could also hear women all around the world singing the very same song. Maybe not the same words, but all the same, raising their voices to the Lord in praise. And it was almost too much to bear.

In that moment, I felt more a part of the Relief Society than I ever have before. In that moment, I realized that this organization is bigger than the dinners, than the playgroups, than the Enrichment nights (I'm sorry, the Relief Society meetings during the week, that will take some getting used to . . .), that it is a society working towards one purpose: Serving others.

Tonight, as I listened I also realized that Relief Society might be as big as the world, but it is also as small as a single person, comforting another on the worst day of her life. It is as simple as casseroles delivered to the new mom down the street. It is as seemingly insignificant as a smile on a cold day, or a hug on a friendless one. It is there for the masses and there for the individual. It is the Lord's work.

And I am proud to be a part of it.

13 comments:

Mother Goose said...

me too!

Kristina P. said...

Well said!

MommyJ said...

Me too. :) It was a wonderful broadcast.

Lourie said...

I am watching the re-broadcast tonight. I think I will hide out in my room so the kids won't be bored by it. How I love having the BYU channel!

Chief said...

You are right, it is wonderful because of every single sister.

Rochelle said...

Agreed.

Liz @ Sugarplum Creations said...

Wow, this is so . . . inspirational! Thanks so much for sharing!

Melinda said...

Me too! So well said, made me get emotional! :)

wendy said...

Well Rachel, even while reading this post, I could feel YOUR spirit. That was neat. It is wonderful to know we are all ONE.
Today I went to RS for the first time in 15 years ---how about that.

Carolyn said...

I am going to sneak away and watch it on my computer tonight. I wasn't up to driving two hours to go last night. I can't wait.

Lauren said...

It was very good and I had a similar experience!

Linds said...

It was an awesome meeting and I came away feeling much the same. We're so blessed to be a part of this organization.

That Girl said...

You said this beautifully - thank you.

Copyright Trapped Between a Scream and a Hug

Meaning all content on this blog is mine. So you better not steal it. Seriously.