September 16, 2009

Serves Me Right


On the way to my parent's house is a long 35 mph stretch of road. Everyone goes too fast on this road. It's an empty field on one side and a string of warehouses on the other.

Saturday morning I was headed down it. I turned on to it right after a blue station wagon.

That was going 30 mph.

There are very few things that irk me more than driving behind someone going less than the speed limit. So the whole way I am screaming inside of my head for this stupid car to move it! (It had been one of those mornings.)

Let me clarify. I was not in a hurry. I was heading over to my parent's to hang out while my husband did some yard work. That's it. No set appointment. No time constraints and I was literally hurling insults telepathically at the stupid car making me go too slow.

And then we passed the policeman on the motorcycle hidden in the shadows off the side of the road. Instinctively, I glanced at the speedometer. 30 mph. No chance of getting a ticket at that speed.

And at that moment I took back all of my telepathic insults. I thanked the blue station wagon.

And as I turned onto another road I realized I was being tailgated. I could feel the telepathic insults headed my way as I realized I was going 5 below the speed limit.

Ooops.

11 comments:

Kristina P. said...

Maybe you could get a ticket for going to slow. I'm a speeder. Don't think that will ever happen!

~Thought's By Dena~ said...

Ive been there before...I too tend to go more on the fast side then the slow side...and I get really irked when people are going too slow...but then when something like that happens and a police man happens to drive by Im thinking in my head oh thank GOd I was behind this slow poke!!! hehe

MommyJ said...

been there, done that... totally understand!

Chief said...

better than getting a ticket! You know the cop stakes out that road just to get people who aren't like the blue station wagon!

Sara said...

Emma's seat is in view of the speedometer and she loves to see the speed limit signs and then check how fast I'm going. She'll be like Mom, the speed limit is 30 and your going 40, you need to slow down. I don't want to tell her it's okay to go over the speed limit and so I slow down. Now, whenever she's in the car I drive exactly the speed limit. It was really weird at first. I'm not usually in a hurry, so it shouldn't be a big deal, but it took a lot of getting used to. Mark always tells me it's a speed limit, not a minimum speed. They are both kind-of annoying, but why is it we have to speed all the time?

Lourie said...

You can get pulled over for driving under the speed the limit; because just like speeding it can be a hazard. 5 miles under the speed limit probably won't get you pulled over. That being said, I don't telepathically chew people out. I say it out loud. So if you ever see a crazy lady shouting and there is no one in the car with her, it just might be me. Go around because I am probably stuck behind the slow person.

Emmy said...

I agree driving under the speed limit drives me insane!! I have had a few times were I was cursing the slow man in front of me only to be thanking them at the end. :)

Barbaloot said...

That was nice of them to save you a ticket----but I bet they could've saved you at 36 mph just as well as 30:)

Carolyn said...

Try getting behind a logging truck going 10 under on a two lane twisty highway for 30 miles straight.

I feel your pain.

I loved the ending.

Sell...Party Of 3 said...

I totally just got my FIRST ticket ever last week, and they got me for 5 over...guess how much is was? $90. REALLY! Crazy. Go slow people!

Emma said...

I hate to be behind people who go slower then the speed limit !!


But don't tailgate me or I will slow way down just to make you mad!!

Copyright Trapped Between a Scream and a Hug

Meaning all content on this blog is mine. So you better not steal it. Seriously.