October 4, 2009

Conference Reflection


I just couldn't leave this weekend without saying something.  General Conference was today, and despite the fact that the antenna decided to act up through half of it, I really enjoyed it.

You know, you always (okay, sometimes) hear about how hard it is to watch conference with kids. And it is true, to a degree. They get bored, they get noisy. They are little and it is not in their attention span to sit still for two hours, especially for 4 times in 2 days. But at the same time, I love watching conference with my children. I love that when a picutre of the temple flashes on the screen my two year old yells out "Temple!"  I love that my little girls used to come running into the room every time the choir started singing, just so they could dance to it.   I love that we have discovered conference bingo (if you haven't done this, you must) and that my girls actually LISTEN to what is being said.

Thinking about it, I don't think that I would trade a noisy conference day with children for a day of quiet listening. Because I'm afraid those quiet days are going to arrive all to soon, and I am going to ache for the dancing girls and the bingo boards.

6 comments:

Kristina P. said...

I always loved Conference Bingo.

Bobbi said...

When our kids were little we decided to make conference weekend a big party. We pull mattresses out into the family room, bring out the big lego box, puzzles, clay,etc and all sit around and play together while we listen. Our kids are teenagers now and they LOVE conference. Even our 8 year old asks, "How many days until conference?" for weeks before. I think it will be lonely when the days of quiet conference watching return!

wonder woman said...

Thanks for the perspective. I hope as my kids get a bit older they'll be able to sit and play bingo, or at least not fight the entire time.

Lourie said...

I forgot all about bingo! And my kids went wild. *sigh* the house shows it. I did get to hear bits and pieces tho.

Mother Goose said...

Amen Sister!

Heidi Ashworth said...

It's the best weekend of the half year! Way more spiritually nutritious than a regular Sunday even with the bored kids.

Copyright Trapped Between a Scream and a Hug

Meaning all content on this blog is mine. So you better not steal it. Seriously.