October 7, 2009

Stupid Commercials

"There is nothing sexier than a strong, defined body."  

Have you seen this commercial? It is for some piece of exercise equipment.  And I hate it.  I hate that it adds to society's misperception of beauty.  I hate that it helps aid the myth that if you pay for this ridiculously expensive equipment that you will be sexy.

Let me tell you what is "sexier" than a "strong defined, body:"

*A man who respects women.  Their bodies, their minds, their emotions, their insecurities.

*A man who respects his priesthood.

*A man who fathers his children.  And I'm not talking about conception. I am talking about a man who comes home from work and asks his children about their day.  Who does more than kiss them goodnight, but plays with them, chases them around the house (despite their mother's dismay at their getting riled up right before bed)

*A man who is confident without arrogance.

*A man who is funny without even trying.

*A man who tells the truth, and keeps those around him honest without being preachy.

Now that is sexy.

23 comments:

heather said...

My Hubby is SOOOoooo sexy!!

(Okay. He can't technically fit the 'father' part, but he is a pretty dang good uncle & I think that can count.)

But, I am so with you on this.

Melissa Bastow said...

Toned abs would be nice, but I like your list MUCH better.

The Boob Nazi said...

Whenever I see a man get all cute with kids, I slightly melt inside. (And I don't even like kids that much.)
And a man who respects women.... Yum

~Thought's By Dena~ said...

AMEN SISTER!!!!!!

Loralee and the gang... said...

I so agree! But, it is also sexy to simply be Healthy. Without the 6-pack.
:~D

Carolyn said...

You are making me miss my husband. Wahhhhhhhh!

Erin said...

Yay! Great list!

Linds said...

There's nothing sexier than a good dad! Um, let me qualify that by saying there's nothing sexier than my husband being a good dad. There, that's better.

wonder woman said...

Awesome.

I have a post I started a few weeks ago about stupid commercials. It's the one for 1-800-jail-fon, where you can call and practice your phone call home when you're in jail.

Or the laser hair removal that talks about women going 3 weeks without shaving. That's ridiculous. And I'm not talking for your man -- I'm talking about shaving because all that hair itches!!

Chief said...

Exactly, absolutely, brilliant!

Kristina P. said...

Amen!!

Lourie said...

I am with you on this for sure. And most commercials are stupid and need to be muted.

Emmy said...

Amen!! So true. I want a man like you described (and have one) any day over a man that has a strong defined body.
And well not to brag, but I have both! Though his strong body is getting a bit squishy in the middle (shhh don't tell him I told you)

Liz @ Sugarplum Creations said...

Amen to that! When I see my girls snuggled up to their dad {or outside working alongside him}, and he takes time to really tune into them, to care for them, now that's sexy!

Rochelle said...

I completely agree.

That's why I fast forward through the commercials!

That Girl said...

I'll help sponsor your new commercial!

wendy said...

Well said!!
Sexy needs to be redefined just as you stated.
Sexy is someone who loves you to death and is always there for you.
Sexy is the wrinkles and belly rolls you've developed together.
Sexy is the tears in your eyes when you look at each other and just think ...wow
No machines can do that.

Karen said...

Absolutely right. That's why I have the sexiest hubby ever.

RaCeNMoMmY said...

Awesome, great list!

Debbie / Cranberry Fries said...

Right on!

glitterbygrammie said...

I soo agree. I have been married for 20 plus years. So I know all about the rolls and lumps you both get over the years. But I still get that feeling when I look at him and say 20 plus years.Through all ups and downs. That is sexy to me.

Melinda said...

Totally agree...now where can I find me one of those men...haha Just kidding!

SO said...

100% totally agree with you!

Copyright Trapped Between a Scream and a Hug

Meaning all content on this blog is mine. So you better not steal it. Seriously.