October 20, 2009

Tuesday Confessional

My five year old is a drama queen.  She really, really is.  Everything is too hard, nothing ever works out her way, and life just isn't fair.  It's all a little much to take, sometimes.

Ever since this trait has appeared we have wondered where in the world it came from. We came to the conclusion that somehow the same genes that grace my little sister, also reside in Tayleigh.  (Sorry, Em.)  Shortly after we came to this decision, however, I had a small, shall we say, epiphany.

In my mind's eye I saw myself walking down the aisles of Albertson's with all 4 of my children, on a weekday around 4:30. I was there picking up the one necessary item for the meal I had planned for dinner that night. My phone rings. It is my husband calling to tell me that he doesn't need lunch for tomorrow. (Translation: I don't have to make something that has acceptable leftovers.)

My reaction:

"What?  You couldn't call me 10 minutes ago?"  as I fling myself over the cart and finally find myself sitting on the floor in the  middle of the aisle. (but we were in Albertson's and therefore, in no one's way)


Hmmmm.  Maybe blaming the drama queen gene on my sister was a little premature. . .

14 comments:

Kristina P. said...

You don't seem like a drama queen! Much. :)

Linds said...

I subtley try to blame all of my children's nuances on my husband and take all the credit for their wonderful attributes. Like, "YOUR son just dropped a golf ball in the toilet." And "Did you see MY boy just score that goal!?!"

Emmy said...

Lol! Yeah, I could name plenty of traits that my kids have picked up from.. my husband, yeah from Eric ;)

wonder woman said...

Funny and embarrassing when you realize things like that....

My own personal opinion is that 2nd borns are prone to drama and emotional outburts.

Are you the 2nd born? ;o)

The Boob Nazi said...

Drama makes life more entertaining. That's what I go by. I don't intentionally create drama, but if it happens, I'm okay with it. It makes good stories.

Mallory said...

Oh no....I hope Wonder Woman isn't right about that second born thing...I'm second born.

Whenever Bug does something crazy (which he does very often) I just roll my eyes and shrug my shoulders. I feel like it is best to not try to blame anyone else (wouldn't want to make myself look bad, and everybody knows my hubby is practically perfect!). I just say, "I have no idea where he gets it..." or "My kid is crazy, and I don't know why..."

Liesl said...

Ha ha. I always wonder where Whitney gets her drama and then I catch myself throwing tantrums here and there. Once Whitney said, "Mom? I'm going to tell you something you need to work on. You need to learn to control your temper."

Ooh, I wanted to smack her! :)

Bobbi said...

ha ha ha ha ha..... love it! We always thought our "drama queen" would be the death of us when she hit her teens. Turns out she got it all out of her when she was 7, so there's something to hope for!!!

Bobbi said...

oh...and how did you turn yourself into a three column blog? I found a site that had a tutorial on it, but I'm afraid I'll blow my blog up if I mess with the HTML.

Lourie said...

All three of my kids are dramatic! I have NOOOOO idea where they get it. Actually, both me and my husband can be over the top.

Loralee and the gang... said...

Was it one of those "the apple doesn't fall far from the tree" moments? I have those pretty often, and not in a good way most of the time!
:~D

blueviolet said...

Sometimes when it's that close, we don't see it. Own that drama!

Melissa Bastow said...

Maybe your drama is a learned behavior from your daughter. Because then it would still be your sister's fault. :)

Lara said...

I have three daughters. They're all drama queens in one way or another. And I never thought I was, because I'm not. But then I realized that sometimes? I totally am.

And in the exact situation you describe I probably would have reacted similarly. Sheesh.

Copyright Trapped Between a Scream and a Hug

Meaning all content on this blog is mine. So you better not steal it. Seriously.