November 12, 2009

Discussion Time


This isn't strictly discussion time. Because I am going to risk influencing your comments by giving you my opinon first.   But first, a little background so it will all make sense.

Not too far away from our neighborhood they are clearning land for a new housing development. This isn't unusual.  Farmland here seems to get eaten by the day with new housing.  What is unusual is that this land isn't farmland. It is basically the banks of the Jordan River.  Which is also the home to a herd of deer.  Are you starting to see the conflict?  The deer are being driven out of their homes to build homes for people. As a result the deer are venturing out into traffic.  Roads like 9000 S. (if you are familiar with Utah) are not the safest place for scared deer.  We saw one hit last week. And I'm not talking about lying on the side of the road.  We saw it run into traffic.  We had plenty of time to stop. The truck in the other lane did not.

When discussing with this my husband I expressed my dismay.  There are plenty of empty houses out there,  I don't understand why we need to build more and more.  Especially right now when there is no one to buy them.  His response was exactly the opposite.  He somehow pulled a summary of this reference from Daniel out of his head: "And wheresoever the children of men dwell, the beasts of the field and the fowls of the heaven hath he given into thine hand, and hath made thee ruler over them all."   Basically, his view is that if people need houses then it's okay to drive animals out of their homes. 


Okay, I get that. I see that.  I'm not an extremesit or a vegetarian.  But I can't help but think of this reference: "Yea, aflesh also of bbeasts and of the fowls of the air, I, the Lord, have ordained for the use of man with thanksgiving; nevertheless they are to be used csparingly;" (D&C 89:12)  Just because we have been made ruler over them all does not give us the right to recklessly kill them so someone can have their big house down by the river.  


So, what do you think?    

11 comments:

wonder woman said...

Hmmmm.....good question. Honestly, if I could afford a house there, I doubt I'd have a problem making deer relocate. On the other hand, I don't like that they have no place to go and are running into busy roads. It'd be nice if they were all moved to their own lands. Like the Indians. (Because, you know, that went SO well.)

I'm kinda torn on this one.

Emmy said...

Well my husband is in the construction business... so well let's just say we are not the biggest environmentalist out there.

However, I do think land is often over built and wasted unnecessarily. Some green open space really is good.

Besides, building right by a river, or Utah Lake (as a lot of houses are) is not a good idea. Just wait for that 100 year flood and you will find out why.

Lourie said...

I have to agree with Emmy. Especially on that flood part. One thing I have always loved about Utah is all the beauty it has...or is it sadly becoming a thing of the past--last time I was there was 2001.

Emily is a good frau said...

I'm with you on this one. I always wonder, why are there so many new houses being built? Are there enough people to fill up all the new houses AND the existing ones? If people fill up the new ones, what happens to the old ones? Those older (and sometimes not so old) neighborhoods become rundown and we have less and less open space.

I also think there is a cultural mindset that "animals are for our use, and that's that." I don't agree with that. I think we are their stewards and we have a responsibility to be good to them and protect them however we can, and that Heavenly Father has provided them for our "use" in times of need.

And while I'm on my soapbox, I find it irritating when people cite the WoW, but conveniently leave out the "They are to be used sparingly; And it is pleasing unto me that they should not be used, only in times of winter, or of cold, or famine.

Have you noticed how that last part usually gets left out of Sunday School lessons?

And for today, when most of us have comfortable, warm homes all year long, I believe there needs to be more thought to what "in times of winter, or of cold" means. Most of us are not struggling with hunger, and do not need to eat animals to survive. We just like it, and we're used to it, and all of our recipes use meat. But if we were to all take an honest look at Doctrine & Covenants 89, it says right there that "... It is pleasing unto me that they should not be used..."

That's all. I'm just the teensiest excitable about this subject.

blueviolet said...

I tend to agree with you more on this one. I just don't really see the need to keep expanding and building and developing. When do we have enough?

Carolyn said...

Did you know that goats are very closely related to deer?

I think that tells you where I stand.

Sell...Party Of 3 said...

I am with you. There are SO many empty, brand new houses just in my neighborhood...why do we keep building more?

Liesl said...

I don't get it. Deer aside, I don't get it. What is with the needless building going on out there? I think I have a bigger issue with that than the deer. If there were a great need for more housing then I would say "so sad for the deer but we need homes," but last time I checked that really wasn't the case.

Maybe I'm missing something.

MommyJ said...

SO, I think I'm with you on this one. And my husband is actually in construction too. He builds new houses for a living. But we live in an area where there is actually a lack of new housing, and a whole bunch of old houses that really ought to just be torn down. Having said that, there are environmentally responsible ways to build new homes. And shoving deer out of the way isn't good.

heather said...

I see both sides.

On one hand I'm glad that the builders are still having jobs to do. Especially with winter & holidays coming on. I hate seeing families have to deal with unemployment right now.

On the other hand there are 100s of homes empty right now & extra building seems excessive. Plus, (and I'm totally passing judgement right now) but Utahans in general seem a little stupid about where they chose to put their 8 billion dollar homes. Sides of steep mountains. River beds. See? Kinda dumb don't you think?

wendy said...

I guess if we asked the animals we would surely get an opinion eh.
WHO ASKS THEM.

Man has always taken over the "earth" it seems and often without respect

That's why I love where I live
I am one with the deer --the moose--the geese----

Copyright Trapped Between a Scream and a Hug

Meaning all content on this blog is mine. So you better not steal it. Seriously.