November 10, 2009

Growing up I had a limited amount of neighborhood kids to play with.  When I was really little there was a family across the street with daughters about 5 years older than I was. They were usually kimd enough to let me come over and jump on the trampoline, but that was about it.

A bit later there was a family who lived behind us with kids about 5 years younger than I was. We played for a few years, but before too long I got old enough to babysit them, and I wasn't nearly as fun when I was in charge.

Today, I watched my children outside, in our driveway.  Kids from 3 different families were there.  Riding bikes up and down the sidewalk. Throwing leaves around. Pretending to go camping in the driveway.  I started thinking about it and realized how lucky my children are.  There are children their age up and down our street.  They walk home from school together.  (Which the mothers like, safety in numbers and all.)  They ride bikes together and create pretend campfires. They are loud and obnoxious and have a glorious time together.  They would rather be outside than in.  Which, I think is a rarity.   And I don't think I would have it any other way.

11 comments:

Barbaloot said...

How fun for the kids! I've usually had kids my age around...but in high school all the girls were cheerleaders and I...wasn't.

Emmy said...

That sounds wonderful! For you and for them. That is how it was for me growing up. There were three families within 5 houses that had my kids my age. it was great

Linds said...

That's so wonderful for your kids (and you)! I had one neighbor my age growing up and we couldn't stand eachother. It didn't help that she was a total SNOB! =)

Kristina P. said...

I grew up in Southern California, and we lived in a SCARY neighborhood. Didn't have too many neighborhood friends either.

Liz @ Sugarplum Creations said...

Isn't that great? I never had cousins my age, and I always felt I was missing out a little {thank goodness for a younger sister!}, and my girls have so many cousins their age. I love it!

Lourie said...

When we lived in VA--and on a military base--the neighborhood was very tight knit and the kids all played together and were usually outside. Here there just aren't as many kids on our street--at least kids the same age. I miss that for them and well for me too.

*check my blog I have something for you*

Emily Anne said...

Cute blog. :-) Enjoyed my visit.

wendy said...

Well, never underestimate the power of good friends.
and of course safety in #'s

I love the new header

Together We Save said...

That is wonderful! I had great neighborhood friends when I was growing up. I had always hoped the same for my girls but they have not been so lucky.

Nishant said...

I had one neighbor my age growing up and we couldn't stand eachother Work from home India

Lara said...

See, and it's the opposite for me. I grew up in a great neighborhood with tons of kids who played kick the can on summer nights and rode bikes together and tons of other things.

I have never lived in a neighborhood quite like that. Right now I'm just thrilled that 2 blocks away live a family with daughters all the same ages as mine. :)

Copyright Trapped Between a Scream and a Hug

Meaning all content on this blog is mine. So you better not steal it. Seriously.