November 9, 2009

The Price of Discovery


I went on a date with my five year old daughter.  When I announced what we were doing that night, she ran screaming into the living room to tell her sister that it was her date night. She was so excited, in fact, that she had absolutely no objections when I suggested that she go change out of her too small summer dress and into something warmer.  If you know this girl, you know this is no small thing.

She was proud of herself.  She earned this dinner by reading every day for a month.  And when she came home from school with the certificate for a free kids meal from Sizzler she couldn't wait for her chance to go redeem it. We tested her patience for a little over a month while I psyched up my taste buds to eat at Sizzler. (It won't be that bad, it won't be that bad. . .)

So, we went. And we waited in line. And waited. And waited. And waited. And to her credit, she took it well. I did not do so well as she.  Initially, I thought it would be such a great opportunity to spend some quality time with her. Talk.  Give her attention that she doesn't get in the chaos that is our house.  But she wasn't really in the mood for talking.  She wanted to look out the window and watch the people around her.

So we finally sit down, get our food and eat.  (And it was that bad.)  By this point it is pushing 8:00 and I am ready to head out. And Tayleigh decides that she wants to talk.  So I let her.

I learned that her best friend has changed. I learned what her favorite game at recess is.  I learned that she has a great imagination. I learned that she looks just like the baby when she drinks through a straw.  I learned what her favorite toy was at school. I learned that she prefers being off track to going to school.  I learned that my emotional, high strung daughter is a curious little sweetheart who likes to make others laugh.  I'm pretty sure that such discoveries were worth the agonies I put my taste buds, and later on my stomach through.

15 comments:

glitterbygrammie said...

Don't you just love those special times. I miss them so. I do it on occasion with grandkids. But it is not quite the same. Enjoy and don't let the food or the service bother you. It was well worth it.

Emmy said...

Yes definitely worth it!

Barbaloot said...

What a darling little girl! How fun that you got to spend that time together.

wendy said...

That was very sweet --and I love hear name.
her photo is SO STINKING cute.

Keep up with those captured moments of "time alone" with each child no matter what the cost.

Lourie said...

A treasured moment indeed. And time with just mom that is extra special.

*That will be $5 please*

Rochelle said...

that is so sweet, and well worth it.

Melanie said...

That's a special moment. Cherish it. She sounds like such a sweetheart.

blueviolet said...

She will never ever forget that night! I LOVE it!

Alyson (New England Living) said...

This is very sweet! It's always important to spend a little one on one time with each kiddo.

Kristina P. said...

She will remember her Mommy Daughter date forever!

wonder woman said...

What a good night for the both of you. With any luck, she'll keep wanting to talk to you.

p.s. like the header, but I kept waiting for "between" to show up. I got it after a second. Probably just because I'm pregnancy dumb. ;o)

Priscila said...

sooooooo cute!
I’m new here to your blog and wanted to “pop” in to say hi! : )
If you would like come check out my blog and enter my current giveaway at littlemissheirlooms.blogspot.com
I hope you decided to follow me because I try to bring my readers a new and AMAZING giveaway every Monday!
Xo
Priscila

Linds said...

She's such a sweetie! I think individual date nights with each of our children is a great idea.

Nishant said...

What a darling little girl! How fun that you got to spend that time together Work from home India

SpencernAmy said...

Wow. Sizzler. That IS TRULY a sacrifice. No wonder they give children free meals . . . . That Tayleigh is a fun one. I can't wait to see you guys again . . . oh that reminds me! How's January? I'll email you!

Copyright Trapped Between a Scream and a Hug

Meaning all content on this blog is mine. So you better not steal it. Seriously.