December 20, 2009

The Drive

So, we drove to CA on Saturday.  From St. George, so not so bad as all the way.  But, by the time we got to Barstow my kids were stir crazy and ready to run.  There is a McDonald's there that we all appreciate. (Clarification: the kids appreciate the playplace. The adults appreciate the respite from whining.)

We arrived and piled out of the car. I was in line and taking orders when my husband informed me that the playplace was CLOSED.  Devastation on all sides. (I apparently can be a little dramatic sometimes.)  I racked my brains.  Is there another one somewhere?  Burger King!  Burger King has one.

So, we pile back in the car. Everyone but the baby understands. The baby, who hates the car even more than I do, starts freaking out when we buckle him in.  We make to Burger King. The scene replays.  The playplace is CLOSED AGAIN.  At this point, I am close to tears.  (I don't do well in the car.  And I was hungry.  Not the greatest combination.)

I think that an answer to an unasked prayer was offered at that point.  A woman overheard our weeping and wailing and suggested that we try Carl's Jr.  We decided that it was worth  a try. But this time, I ran in before we unloaded any one. And, in the fashion of true Christmas miracles, it was OPEN!  Despite the fact that the food was gross, the kids had a spectacular time and were even bordering on happy for the last 2 hours of the trip.   The Lord does indeed work in mysterious ways.

13 comments:

Kristina P. said...

I remember that drive. Glad you found something!

The Boob Nazi said...

I love Carl's Jr. (I know that wasn't the point, but I wanted to make it.)

Liz @ Sugarplum Creations said...

I don't like the car either . . . and Kam hates it!

Lara said...

Weird that they would close play places at this time of year when there are so many traveling! But Carl's Jr. is superior to McD's and BK anyway, so it's all good. :) NExt time, go there first.

wonder woman said...

2 playplaces closed? Wouldn't happen in Utah county!! Glad you found one, though. Sorry it was Carl's Jr. I'm not a big fan of theirs, either, though more for the pricing than the taste. In my dream world, Wendy's has a playplace.

Barbaloot said...

I suppose an open play place would be the only reason to patronize a Carl's Jr. Glad you found something!

Emmy said...

Why were they both closed?? And yes Barstow is the best of the towns in that area... some of the others are just dang scary. We tried to stop in some to go to the bathroom and we just got back in the car and left.

Erin said...

I so know that feeling of just wanting to get out of the car, and being near tears if something just isn't right. I'm glad you made it there okay!

Lourie said...

I am guessing it was just THAT Carl's that was gross. But hey, they had a place for the kids to run! Glad you all made it safe and sound.

Emily - Good Frau said...

That happened to us, too! On our drive to California in October! I don't know what city we were in, but I was about to cry, because Charlie NEEDED to get out of the car and run around for a while. He was very disappointed.

Michelle 2021 said...

I think I've been to that Carls Jr...I hope you survive the drive home! Merry Christmas!

Sell...Party Of 3 said...

I shouldn't say this, but I am thankful that Van gets car sick...so she is REALLY mellow on long trips. We have only had to clean up throw up twice in the car...so worth it though. LOL.

Jo said...

I happen to like Carl's Jr..I ate there for the first time I remember on my honeymoon! Maybe that's why. I was on cloud 9!

Copyright Trapped Between a Scream and a Hug

Meaning all content on this blog is mine. So you better not steal it. Seriously.