December 7, 2009

MMB Home Tour




Have you seen those perfect Christmas trees? You know the ones that I am talking about.  Where all the ornaments match, and the lights are white. Where the star on top isn't crooked and the bottom half of the tree stays decorated all the time?

I'm slightly jealous of those trees.  They are beautiful.  I don't have one.  And there are a couple of reasons for that.  First of all I have four children six and under. Our tree gets redecorated on a daily basis.  And not just with ornaments. My daughter thought Daddy's glasses would look great on the tree. Daddy didn't agree.

But the main reason that I don't have one is that, despite their beauty, it is a distant beauty.  It's an untouchable beauty. And an ornament made by a 5 year old would be out of place.   And that is just not acceptable at our house.


Almost every ornament on our tree has a little piece of my heart.  And almost every single one has a story.

Every year each of my children gets an ornament for Christmas.  This was my first son's first ornament for his first Christmas.



The reason that my children each get an ornament every year is that I did when I was growing up. My mom gave me this one the year that we celebrated the sesquicentennial of the pioneers arriving in the Salt Lake Valley.
I gave this one to myself the year that my wonderful in laws took us to Mexico for Thanksgiving. It is still one of my absolute favorites.


And I'm not the only one who has important ornaments on the tree. My husband's mission president gave us this as a wedding gift. My husband served his mission on Minnesota and the St. Paul temple was built and dedicated while he was there.
And this one has the place of honor on the tree. It is my favorite ornament. Up at the top, right underneath the crooked star. My mom gave it to us a few years ago. I think it is the most beautiful ornament that I own. And what a beautiful reminder of the reason that  we have a tree up in the first place.

So, while those coordinated trees are beautiful, I am perfectly content with my mismatched tree, decorated with little bits of my heart.

19 comments:

MomBabe said...

I LOVE that last ornament. Puffy sparkly love it.

Barbaloot said...

That's how my family's tree is, too. We've always gotten one (or more) ornamnets per year...in fact, I totally have that sesquecentennial one that you do:)

That Girl said...

I love - LOVE! - that last line.

Emmy said...

Yes the other trees might look beautiful but yours if full of love

Momtothreebabies said...

when you have babies, the christmas tree is SUPPOSED to look like that!!!! our tree does! lol. ;) you have beautiful ornaments, we do the same thing, the kids get a special ornament each year. unfortunately they are things like spongebob and my little ponies, hehe ;) merry christmas!
love, jl
momtothreebabies.blogspot.com

Lara said...

I love your special ornaments.

And while I have a coordinated tree, because that's important to me, I also have another tree that's just for the kids' homemade stuff and I love it just as much.

wonder woman said...

I love your take on the tour. We've got special ornaments, too, and I love them. We got an ornament every year as kids, too, except they were the themed ones from Hallmark. When the collection ended, we got different ones, but it wasn't the same.

I'd like to start getting ornaments for my kids each year that is special to them that year. Thanks for the idea.

Carolyn said...

The last one is so gorgeous.

My tree is just like yours. Except it's not up yet...sigh. We usually cut one down and we haven't had time to make it to the tree farm yet.

Liesl said...

I prefer the more personal, less-than-perfect trees. Much more full of love and story, and that is what Christmas is about! Don't be jealous. You are cool!

Momza said...

You're speaking my language, Sister!
We have the same tradition...everyone has their own ornaments on the tree and they are all cherished! Froo Froo trees are lovely to look at, it's true, but ours has handmade snowflakes, wooden bears, and whatnot all over it and I wouldn't have it any other way. Carry on!

Sell...Party Of 3 said...

Savannah's tree is the sentimental tree that we all love to look at and remember. I finally have the pretty tree after 10 years of marriage, and lots of begging...and I have to say I love it! =)

Lourie said...

Our trees beat those perfectly matched trees hands down every single time!

Kristina P. said...

My tree is super boring. I bought one of those giant kits from Target.

Love yours!

Annette Lyon said...

Absolutely beautiful ornament--and a great sentiment to boot.

(Thanks for dropping by--and I LOVE your blog title!)

Lynnae said...

We got new ornaments every year as kids too! Some years they were very cheap or handmade. I love that tradition!

Linds said...

Great idea!

Rochelle said...

What a great tradition to pass on to your kids.

I also have a mismatched, far from perfect tree, and I prefer it that way. If it were perfect, it wouldn't fit in with all the rest of my far from perfect stuff!

glitterbygrammie said...

Great last line and so true. I only have my son's ornaments to put up this year. He won't be home all that much longer so I am enjoying them probably for the last time. Then they will go with him and his girlfriend or wife to their home. Hmmmm sad thought but still they are a little piece of my heart and handing them over so they can become a piece of their heart.

Jodie said...

I love how the ornaments tell a story of your life. I actually took off our ornaments tonight because my children already broke one and it was a special ornament. Our ornaments on our tree are so sentimental to me as they have been in my family since I was a kid. I love your last sentence! So, very true!

Copyright Trapped Between a Scream and a Hug

Meaning all content on this blog is mine. So you better not steal it. Seriously.