January 13, 2010

Black Thumb

I have a garden every year.  But, I have a confession to make. I have a black thumb. I try and I try, but it happens every time.  Right around this time of year I get seed catalogs. Gorgeous, full color seed catalogs packed with every kind of vegetable you could ever dream of.  Did you know that there are hundreds of kinds of tomatoes?  There are.  And pumpkins. Blue, white, orange, even pink.  I leaf through those catalogs dreaming of the beautiful garden that I could have.  So, what if there is very little dirt in my backyard.  I can stuff quite a few plants back there, right?  Better to keep the weeds out.


So I buy the seeds, and generally spend too much doing it.  But who can pass up the pink and yellow Swiss chard?  And the gorgeous Tabasco peppers?  The seeds arrive and I plant them. For a few weeks all is well.  The seeds sprout and there is much rejoicing in the land. That is when it strikes. I forget to water them.  They die.  I water them too much. They mold. (Yes. Mold.) I try hardening them by putting them outside for a day. And forget about them overnight.  They die. I start over and nothing happens.  I might get 2 or 3 seedlings out of all of this. 

Then, there are the few seeds that I can plant directly outside in March.  Somehow, March is always easy. By March, we are itching to get out of the house. Everyone is glad to spend a few hours outside, digging and playing.  But the weeds. Oh, the weeds. Have you ever noticed how aggressive weeds are?  I hate weeds. I can pull weeds for hours one day, and then next it seems that I was never out there at all. A few weeks of this, and I can't take it any more. The weeds are too much and it's getting too hot.  And if I'm lucky, at the end of the season I end up with a pumpkin or two, a few carrots, maybe 2 salads worth of lettuce and 3 pea plants that actually produce. 


But this year, it's gonna be different. . . I'm off to get my seed catalog. 

11 comments:

JohnAllen said...

NOOOO! Don't do it. You don't need to spend that much money on seeds that don't grow.

Barbaloot said...

Ugh-I don't like gardening. And I can't even keep a fake plant alive. Good luck with your garden this year:)

Rochelle said...

I know what you mean! Only my garden died this summer only because a GIANT spider decided to call it home and I couldn't bring myself to get anywhere near it after he arrived.
Also did you know that if you plant certain veggies too close together, they cross pollinate or something and make a whole new vegetable?
I've learned from last year, and I swear this year is going to be better!

j@nAe said...

Ha, ha! I haven't ever been able to do a garden because I seem to move at just the wrong time every year, but I'm guessing you and I have this in common. Good luck this year!

Emmy said...

Well that is more than I do... I don't even try because my thumb is so black.

Melissa Bastow said...

I don't even have the ability of keeping small animals alive, let alone plants.

Liesl said...

Isn't it amazing to consider that if we had to grow our own food, many of us would probably die before we figured it out? I just wish I had the option to grow a garden. One of the few things I don't appreciate about city living.

Kristina P. said...

Good luck! I can't even keep fake plants alive.

That Girl said...

I like gardening (at least - I like the IDEA of gardening), but we move so dang much that we rarely eat the fruits of our labors.

This year will be different.

Planting season in Arizona is actually NOW, and I'm dying to get started.

Then I think about all the hunching over planting, weeding, etc. in the next few months ... and my pregnant body wants to scream.

We MAY have to wait til next season. We'll see.

Lourie said...

I have a houseplant. I have kept it alive for two years. That is a BIG record for me. It needs a new home...reallly bad. I fear it will suffocate if I don't give it room. Good luck with the garden. I would send email reminders...but...well...yeah... good luck!

Jo said...

Tthe strip in between our house seems to grow veggies very well! I wanted to plant cucumbers this year. There is going to be room for one more thing. Did you have anything in mind? the squash did well last year. Don't buy the seeds from the catalog! I will provide the seeds and fertilizer. Maybe you could provide the string and dowels. If the garden is in the front yard do you think we could keep up with the weeds? We do have appearances to keep up with don't we? j/k
A garage sale sounds great. Maybe we should invite Michelle as well.

Copyright Trapped Between a Scream and a Hug

Meaning all content on this blog is mine. So you better not steal it. Seriously.