January 14, 2010

Book Review

We got a set of manners books this year for Christmas. We don't have any.  So, when I saw them, I thought, Great! My kids could always use a little bit extra help in that department.  But, when I sat down to read them too my kids, I was a little bit surprised.   I thought the idea was to show them a behavior that was wrong and the conseqences of said behavior, convincing them that such behavior was not a great idea.

So you can imagine my surprise when I found out the consequence for lying was being washed away by a tsunami.  Or that the consequence of stealing was to be eaten by a snake.  Or, my favorite, did you know that if  you are a bully you will be abducted by aliens?

So, um, yeah. Needless to say, I was a little bit disappointed. I think that the author was trying to be funny.  But it didn't really work. Also, I think he was trying to rhyme, but by the end of every book, the rhyme scheme just kind of fell apart.

So, if you come across these books, I'm going to have to say that I do not recommended them.

12 comments:

Lara said...

Hmm.

I guess it would be funny, if you already had other books that show the actual consequences. :)

Sara said...

My kids love those books, but they do think they are funny. I think they are kind-of funny too. But I'm kind-of immature. :)

Linds said...

Good books on good behavior are hard to come by. We like "Fleas and Thank You." Who knew fleas had manners!?!

Emmy said...

Thanks for the heads up

The Boob Nazi said...

Such hyperbole.

Rochelle said...

good to know.

Liz @ Sugarplum Creations said...

Oh no! ;) We like 'Please is a Good Word to Say' We always need extra help with manners.

Liesl said...

It's very rare to come across a great picture book with a blatant morality message. Obviously this author was trying to do that by adding humor and exaggeration, but kids are so literal. If I read that to Whitney she would probably think all those things would happen to her for lying and then in ten years she'd out me for brainwashing.

Lourie said...

Geees! Whatever happened to Pinocchio!? His consequences were literal too, but at least they made more sense.

Melissa Bastow said...

I hate when books are supposed to be moral-y and then end up being stupid. And then you have to explain to the kids why the book is wrong and what the real consequences are when you know they aren't going to believe anything you say because, "The book SAID SO."

Emma said...

We have this book and like you i bought it hoping that it would help, but I don't like the story at all, and I no longer buy these books from usborne I don't think they are very good!!!

Debbie / Cranberry Fries said...

That's crazy. I've seen these. Are they scholastic or usborne maybe? I've wanted to get them for the same reason, another way to talk about behavior with kids. Uhm whats the point if the consequence is crazy. Good to know! :)

Copyright Trapped Between a Scream and a Hug

Meaning all content on this blog is mine. So you better not steal it. Seriously.