January 21, 2010

Kind of a Book Log

So, I love to read. I always have.  When I was a kid I rode my bike to the library once a week with a grocery bag or two and rode home balancing them and trying not to kill myself.  I would read them all that week and  then head back the next week.

I read so much in fact, that my mother insisted on including that little tidbit in the yearly brag letter. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but my paragraph read like this for a couple of years: "Rachel enjoys reading, watching X-Files and spending time with the cat."  If that doesn't make me sound like a reclusive and socially awkward teenager, I don't know what does. . .

For Christmas this year I got 16 books. I have been in heaven.  I have gone through 5 thus far. I thought I would share, in case you're looking for a good book . . .

The Grift  by Debra Ginseng


I really enjoyed this book. I actually read it in a day. Didn't do much else that day. . .

I thought the writing was pretty good and the story was original. It's about a woman who works as a psychic.  It is interesting because it paints her as a cross between a con artist and a therapist.  I would give it at least a PG-13 rating, though.  There wasn't a ton of swearing, but a couple of characters swore a lot so those chapters had more than the rest of the book.




The American Wife by Curtis Sittenfeld

This is the portrait of the First Lady, loosely based on Laura Bush.  I enjoyed it.  There is more swearing in this one, again, certain characters more than others.

It was really interesting to see the thought process of her character.  What it might be like to be the First Lady and the path that might have brought her to that point.


Princess Academy by Shannon Hale

I wanted this one because I had heard so many good things about all the Shannon Hale books.  I actually read The Actor and The Housewife first, but I didn't love it. I didn't think the writing was a ll that great and the conversations felt kind of forced. So I didn't have the highest expectations for this one.

I loved it. I thought the writing was much better in this one. I think that Shannon Hale has her niche in fantasy. This is a YA book, if you aren't familiar with it, and I will happily pass this along to my daughters when they get to this point in their reading skills.

Bright Blue Miracle by Becca Wilhite

This was one that I have heard good things about, and it didn't disappoint.  It was a quick read and despite the somewhat serious subject matter, quite delightful.  It is the story of a blended family and they pull it all together.  The characters are likable and fun.

This is written by an LDS author, but that does not figure into the story. It is, however, completely clean.

Pride and Prejudice and Zombies by Jane Austen and Seth Grahame-Smith

I have been wanting to read this for a long time, but, sadly, I was disappointed. I thought it looked clever and ridiculous and would therefore be funny. It was just Pride and Predudice with the occasional zombie attack. No clever interruptions or insertions. Unless you find vomit funny.

It was kind of a bummer.

10 comments:

just call me jo said...

Thanks for the suggestions. I love to read too. Just haven't read anything I love lately, darn it.

Kristina P. said...

I need to read more. I do want to read the zombie one.

Linds said...

Shucks! I had such high hopes for P&P & Zombies. I guess I shouldn't read Sense and Sensibility and Sea Monsters either.

The Boob Nazi said...

I've been wondering about the zombie one. I'm sad it wasn't that good!

j@nAe said...

I really liked Princess Academy, but I think Goose Girl is better, and Book of a Thousand Days even better (although it does start slow). I wasn't enthralled with Bright Blue Miracle. I liked it fine, but it didn't really do anything for me. As for the rest, I haven't read em so I guess I better get to the library!

Lourie said...

I used to either walk or ride my bike to the library. I love to read. It whisks me away into another world. I need to make time to go there again. Thanks for heads up on these.

Emmy said...

I really need to read more... and yeah, your mom's letter might not have left the right impression :)

wonder woman said...

Superman got The Zombie Survival Guide for Christmas, so P&P and Zombies sounded interesting to me.....glad to know it may not be worth it.

I actually *loved* The Actor and the Housewife, but I'm also several months pregnant with a crush on Matt Damon and a husband who always talks about dying young. It may or may not have been exceptionally easy for me to put myself in the heroine's shoes.

Thanks for the reviews, though!

Liesl said...

I really liked Princess Academy, but Goose Girl will always be my favorite. You're right, Shannon Hale's niche is definitely in YA fantasy.

Valerie said...

I love reading book reviews. I'm going to look at our library for Princess Academy.

Copyright Trapped Between a Scream and a Hug

Meaning all content on this blog is mine. So you better not steal it. Seriously.