January 8, 2010

Random Friday

I'm starting to wonder if I have SAD.  Yesterday and the day before were horribly cloudy days. By the end of the day I thought I was going to die. And yesterday morning, all I wanted to do was sleep, despite the fact that I had a perfectly good night's sleep under my belt. 


Today, although being very, very cold, it was bright and sunny with blue sky and everything.  And I have been a lot better today.  Do you think that all of this is psychosomatic? 


*************************************************


My 2 and 1 year old have taken to following me everywhere. I don't let them in the bathroom with me.  I need those 3 minutes of privacy.  Except that there is much weeping and wailing and attempts at picking the lock on the other side of the door. (Not kidding. My 2 year old can unlock the main bathroom from the outside.)


This is especially difficult at dinner time. Today I tried to get my girls to play with the boys in their room with all of their new toys (which they love, so I totally thought it would work.)  I wasn't all the way down the stairs when I heard the baby start crying. He was in the kitchen 2 minutes after I was, where he proceded to empty all of the cabinets, the recycling bin and my wallet.  It is becoming increasingly difficult to make dinner.


***********************************************


I have been to the pediatrician's office twice this week. And I am not someone to run to the doctor for every little thing.  We had an ear infection and a case of pink eye. Which means that I will probably be heading to the doctor's again for the rest of the pink eye cases that are going to pop up around my house in the next few days. . .


Don't you just love winter? 


********************************************


I find it ironic that right now stores are marketing for New Year's resolutions, (ie losing weight) and the Superbowl (party food.)  It just seems mean. Yes, Slim Fast and Lean Cuisine are on sale, but then again, so are chips and dip and all kinds of greasy appetizers.   Hmmmm, which to pick . . .


*******************************************


I just learned about a great new website. It's called Embodying Womanhood, and it's dedicated "to understanding womanhood in light of revealed gospel truths of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints."  There are some really interesting articles about Finding Nobility in Motherhood,  and thoughts on the relationship between Husband and Wife.   If you have a few minutes, check it out. It's worth your time. 

18 comments:

Emma said...

I hate it when kids are sick I'm so sorry, it doesn't help any they want you more!!

I also hate it when doc wont just call in the medicine you know you need for other children pink eye problems that will most surely happen do they really need you Fifteen dallor co pay???

I love the sun oh I love the sun!!

Charlotte said...

Boy, do I know about SAD! Two years ago (or so) I blogged about how I get discouraged during the winter, and two of my readers commented on their experiences with the light therapy boxes that you can buy. After mulling it over with my husband ('cause they're not exactly cheap), we decided to go ahead and get one. We got the Verilux Happy Light for around $180.

Fifteen minutes a day has made ALL THE DIFFERENCE for me.

. . . well, fifteen minutes a day and keeping a gratitude journal, that is.

Just a friendly FYI.

Kristina P. said...

I have wondered about SAD too. Good news is that it's beautiful today!

Momza said...

I think I had a touch of SAD when we lived in Boise...we moved there in the summer and all thru the winter I wasn't "myself"--then the sun came out in April and I knew I'd been depressed!
The next year, I knew I had to do something different to keep those blues at bay! Go to the YMCA or have mommy/kid lunch dates...anything, just get outta the house!

wonder woman said...

I felt the same way on the cloudy days and am much happier today. Maybe it's not SAD -- maybe it's normal.

I found it incredibly ironic walking through Walmart the other day that one side of the main aisle had home gyms and weight-loss drinks, and the other had doritos and pepsi. Sick and wrong.


I was at the pediatrician's office twice this week, too. Turns out the Hulk fractured the small bone in his forearm. Like 3 weeks ago. He's in a splint now.

Rochelle said...

I actually think I'm happier on gloomy days. I love the idea of a big thunderstorm or the sound of rain falling outside. On the other hand, I love when spring comes and the sun starts really shining...so, nevermind, I don't know what I'm talking about.

ps. My baby emptied my wallet yesterday. I found about a zillion business cards from when I still lived in Utah. Its been 2 years, so I think it was time to clean it out anyway.

Wendy said...

I totally agree with the fact that it gets really hard to make dinner with such little ones like them around. There totally has to be something up with that time of the day, and the kids kicking into a "I need mommy attention, and will not stop for anything until I get it all to myself" mode, and then by the time dinner is over, now wonder we are exhausted!!

Hope it gets better for you soon. Rachel!!

Barbaloot said...

Lean Cuisine is on sale? I'm off to the store...

The Boob Nazi said...

I've been inside for the past couple of days other than a walk and a trip to wal mart. Seriously. I hate this test.

Liesl said...

I have SAD. (Why do I live in Chicago? I'm fighting depression six months out of the year.)

I have found that fondue parties and movie nights are good therapy. Hot chocolate also. Two cups a day.

Lean Cuisine? That will just add to the SAD, I promise.

Emmy said...

Hope your kids get better soon.

I hate that the excitement of thrill of the new toys seems to wear off too quickly.

Lourie said...

I know I have SAD. I believe it is real thing. Keep those shades open, turn on the lights to make the room you are in brighter.

Put the little one in his high chair--while you are making dinner--and give him a couple of toys to play with. Didn't always work with Ryan, but it was great when it did.

Diet, healthy food? what?

Thanks for the links to the site. I can't wait to check it out.

Lots of hand washing, and hopefully no more sickness.

That Girl said...

You should totally come visit me. No one in Arizona ever gets SAD.

Also, get locks on EVERYTHING. Including your bathroom. Home Depot sells those "flip locks" for $2.50, and they're a cinch to install. We have 'em on every door and cabinet in the house.

Debbie / Cranberry Fries said...

My youngest shadows me in the kitchen a lot. You'd think after falling over him, stepping on him and shooing him out he'd stop coming in but nope. :)

I hadn't noticed the grocery store stuff, that is funny...and mean! Haha

Annette Lyon said...

Not psychosomatic. SAD is real. My sister had no clue she had it, and bad, until she moved from Seattle to Arizona. And WOW! She was suddenly a happy person!

I remember the days of going to the bathroom and having little chubby fingers poking under the door trying to reach me. "Mom? Mom? Are you there? I need you."

Yeah. Sweet, but oh my heavens, can I even PEE alone?!

It gets better. I'm in the golden years of motherhood right now--ages 7-14. Old enough to be a ball to talk to and hang out with and care for themselves, not quite too old and teenager-ish to make me want to strangle them.

(I get to meet you at the CB Conference!)

Lara said...

SAD is definitely a real thing. I have it. Winter is really hard for me. Even more now that I live in a place where the sun comes out once a week for 5 minutes, even during the summer.

I need to invest in a SAD light. Theyr'e expensive, so I try to at least sit by the window whenever I can.

wendy said...

Sunshine certainly brightens anyones mood I think. Even when it is ghastly cold here, a little sun makes a lot of difference.
BUT, I don't mind the rain as long as you are surrounded by green --like on the coast. I could do that.
Sorry about the pink eye -ick.

and on the name subject.
I had a co-worker named Sunshine. Well....she was anything BUT

Melinda said...

I love your random posts, my brain is so there with you! I grew up in western washington so the gray didn't use to bother me, but after being away for five years its been hard to be back. There are definitely days where I feel tired and sad (not that pregnancy helps!). My kids won't leave me alone either, I don't even bother shutting the bathroom door, I just get in and out as fast I can. :)

Copyright Trapped Between a Scream and a Hug

Meaning all content on this blog is mine. So you better not steal it. Seriously.