January 15, 2010

Random Friday

I hate being sick. It's almost over. The cold is almost gone. But the lingering bits are so annoying. The dry throat that goes along with the stuffy nose and the cough.  Anyone have any miracle cures?  And now, there is this weird thing going on where it feels like I am in a plane and I can't get my ears to pop.  I can't hear. And I feel like a 70 year old woman, yelling because I can't hear!

So if you see me, and I'm yelling at the checkout person at the grocery store, you'll know why.

*post edit: Just got back from the Dr. I have an ear infection. Apparently, you don't have to be 5 to get them.  And I still can't hear. . .

*****************************************

Did you know the air in the Salt Lake in the winter is worse than the air in New York or LA?  Because it is. Which really makes me want to stay in my house and never go anywhere.  Which, honestly, I'm really okay with. I only want to go outside when the sun is shining and I can actually see the sky.  I wonder if my food storage would last that long. . .

*****************************************

I'm kind of feeling like I have neglected my favorite food this winter.  I have not made nearly enough soup.  So, much to my husband's chagrin, I have resolved to make more soup over the next 6 weeks.  (Because then, it will be spring, right? right? )  Twice a week isn't too often, yes?  And if you feel the need to share your  favorite soup recipe, I'm happy to hear it!

*****************************************

14 comments:

MommyJ said...

I'm totally with you on shaking the last of a cold... I had a bronchial infection and finished a complete round of antibiotics and still have lingering dryness and a scratchy throat. Just get better all ready!

As to Utah air in the winter... heh. After growing up in the balmy, constantly humid south, when I was in school in Utah, I seriously turned into parchment paper. SO DRY!! And my hair? Oh, dear me, the sadness that was my hair!

Hope you feel better soon. :)

Barbaloot said...

Throw in a chicken or beef stew and I'm sure your husband won't complain. It's one of the best meals ever!

Momza said...

Are you taking Emergen-C? Really helps! I even make my kids take it when they start complaining about not feeling well.
As for the grayness that is winter in Utah...come to Colorado! We have bright blue skies in the winter when it's not snowing!
And I love soup...have you checked out the crockpot lady's blog? I think its 365 Days of Crockpotting.
Great ideas there! Anytime I throw everything in a pot and walk away for hours, it's a good day for me!
Have a SUPER WEEKEND!

Emmy said...

My sister-in-law is a huge soup fan too. I enjoy it, but not enough to ever make it for a meal.

Hope you get the rest of the way better soon.. I would tell you the secret if I knew.. but well mine is still lingering too.

wonder woman said...

I've only left the house one day this week, and that was the day that Utah county was in the green for a few hours. Spiderman has some mild asthma issues, so that has contributed to my homebodiness. That and the fact that it takes SO MUCH EFFORT to get out the door!

I did a mexicanish soup last night. Cream of chicken, shredded chicken breast, green chilies, cumin, pepper, garlic, beef bouillon and sour cream. Let me know if you want to hear more!

Another fave is chicken noodle soup with homemade egg noddles and broth out of cream of chicken. Yum yum.

Rochelle said...

It feels like spring right now in Boise. I didn't even need a jacket yesterday. The sun is shining and it is LOVELY. Not missing the Salt Lake smog!

Lourie said...

Oh! My ears did that too! It was awful. No miracle cure...just a really strong decongestant and time.

The air in LA is still pretty bad, but where I live(about 100 miles away) the air is clear. We very rarely see a smoggy day. It helps that there are strict laws on smog testing and what the limits are.

Soup!! Yum. I always add rolls with it.

Kristina P. said...

I am really hating this air. Blech.

annie valentine said...

I am the Soup Master of the Universe. I make a split pea that would send your glands into such severe water overdrive, they'd start calling you Noah.

Great comment today , BTW. Spot on.

Erin said...

Mmm, soup. I wish my husband didn't hate it.

I'm sorry you have been sick!

Carolyn said...

Mmmm soup. My hubband doesn't like it much either...but we both love stew so it counts as an in-between. Not soup but not an entree either.

Try venison instead of beef. Add a little sugar and allspice to your regular stew recipe. Yummmmmy.

wendy said...

SORRY YOU AREN'T FEELING WELL ---I am yelling this so you can hear, with your plugged up ears and all.

Miracle --I can't remember the last time I had a cold. Neither hubby nor I have been sick since we hooked up in august. But, we aren't around anyone really.

I love soup too.

Melissa Bastow said...

My favorite soup comes from a can.... Except we can't serve soup in our house because my almost 3 year old thinks that it's much more fun to use it as body art rather than eating it.

Sorry you're sick. I HATE sick this winter. PHOOOOEY on sick.

Michelle 2021 said...

I hope you feel better very soon. I love soup but quickly grow tired of the recipes I have. I would love to read some good ideas and new recipes for soup.

Copyright Trapped Between a Scream and a Hug

Meaning all content on this blog is mine. So you better not steal it. Seriously.