February 17, 2010

Memories, from the corners of my mind





On the way home from the funeral last week "Mony Mony" came on the radio and I was overcome with a wave of happy ( and slightly embarrassing) memories that all took place inside of the church gym.  Because "Mony Mony" is the ultimate Stake Dance song.  What stake dance would be complete without it?

Listening to it, I could almost see myself in my polyester, flowered Sunday dress (with a cardigan to make it modest) throwing my arms up in the air and jumping up and down in a large pack of girls. Because at stake dances, inhibition was only thrown out in the midst of a large pack of girls. If any member of the opposite gender were to happen by the arm throwing immediately became much less enthusiastic and the jumping up and down became much more subdued. (Wouldn't want anyone to think we were crazy, now, would we?)

Except during YMCA. Then, license was given to wave your arms about like crazy and no one would think less of you.  And, amazingly, it was actually cool to know the steps to Men in Black and Boot Scootin' Boogie.  But, otherwise, discretion must be used, or you were doomed to the fate of wallflower during one of the many slow songs.  The last of which was always, always Somebody by Depeche Mode. Just hearing the song, and I can almost smell the sweaty gym.

Good times, good times. . .

8 comments:

also known as shell said...

I remember all those songs...remember "cotton eyed joe" that was a fun one to jig to :)

Wonder Woman said...

Oh, my......stake dances. Out in the "mission field" we LIVED for stake dances. Superman and I met at one. He was always the life of the party at stake dances. He wore a suit every time and brought sunglasses to do the Men In Black dance. He knew the whole thing and the entire room would gather in a big circle around him.

YMCA: people would get up on the stage and dance. Cotton-eyed Joe: link arms and dance in a cirle. Any Man of Mine: line dance. Jump, Jive and Wail: swing dancing. Also a Superman performance number. He would throw his (super skinny) sisters up in the air like no one's business.

I really, really, really miss stake dances. And I'm kinda bummed that they are so anti-climatic out here.

Lourie said...

I only went to a few of them myself... but the songs definitely bring me down memory lane! I don't even remember the steps for Boot Scoot n Boogie! Ahhhh memories.

MommyJ said...

Oh dear me, stake dances were fun. Or maybe not so much... do you remember the one guy that could do a back flip, and would do so off the stage and make all the girls swoon?

I remember dancing to Bon Jovi's Always...

Emmy said...

Ah love this post. The stake dances were the best and like Wonder Woman said, in the mission field they were a huge deal and everyone wanted to go. We even had a few Tri-stake dances, which meant kids from two neighboring states.
The first few years I would only get out there if there was that big group or safety net, but then I gained some self confidence and would just get out there no matter what, someone had to get the party started :)

Kristina P. said...

I haven't heard that song in FOREVER!

Liz @ Sugarplum Creations said...

Isn't it great how certain songs take you right back to a particular time??? How fun!

Michelle 2021 said...

Oh man, these were a BIG deal. Good memories, mostly.

Copyright Trapped Between a Scream and a Hug

Meaning all content on this blog is mine. So you better not steal it. Seriously.