February 3, 2010

Mistaken Identity

Last Sunday after Relief Society was over, my visiting teacher came up to talk to me.  We chatted for a moment, and she told me a bit about a sledding accident that her son had over the holidays.  I nodded politely with concern and expressed my dismay, as is socially required in such situations.  


She then went on to ask when we could get started.  As she is my visiting teacher, I just assumed that she meant she wanted to set up an appointment to come by and see me. We discussed our schedules and all was well until she told me that her 13 year old son got out of school at 3:30, so really any time after that.  I was a bit confused, but made the assumption that she had to wait for him to come home?  So I just went with it.  


It was when she asked whether I wanted her son to bring his books, or if he should use mine, that I decided that we must be having  2 different conversations. This is also about the point that Seinfeld popped into my head.  Because rather than stop her and say, "Wait. I have no idea what you are talking about,"  I just nodded my head and told her to bring his.  And the thought crossed my mind that I didn't know what I was going to do with this kid when he showed up at my house on Wednesday afternoon, with a stack of books. 


I may have started to panic a little bit at this point.  How was I supposed to get out of this conversation with out making myself look like a total idiot?  I was also racking my brain for reasons that her son wanted to come to my house with his books.  And then she asked, "And you said $10 a lesson?"


I'm not gonna lie. I could use that extra $10 a week.  But the thought of not knowing what, exactly, I would have to do to earn it, started to unnerve me. 


"Are you sure you talked to me about this? Did you speak to my husband maybe?"  I asked, trying to come up with services of mine that he would offer to other people.  For money, no less.


"No.I talked to you. Last month. I'm sure I talked about it with you."


"No, no.  I don't think it was me."


"Are you sure?  I remember talking about this with you."


"Yeah. It wasn't me."


"But, aren't you Brooke?"


"Nope."  


Do you think Fail Blog has a spot for visiting teaching fail?  

18 comments:

Kellee Paschall said...

That is Hilarious !

heather said...

You're not the one who looked silly! :) That's funny! There was a girl in my old ward who everyone confused me for.

just call me jo said...

The woman was YOUR visiting teacher and she didn't know your name? Well, that's odd and bizarre. I may be a bit disconnected at times while vting but I usually know their names. She's the ditz not you. Besides, $10 isn't enough for tutoring or whatever she wanted done with those books...

Linds said...

LOL! You should have charged $10 to keep that story secret.

Just SO said...

I have so been in that situation. On both sides.

Mrs. Townsley said...

Laughing. Any reference to Seinfeld will do that to me. Did she want you to give him a piano lesson?

Rochelle said...

Ha ha! That is so funny. No one in my ward knows who I am. They all say, whats your last name? Oh your the one with the baby with the heart problems right? They know my baby, but not me.

Emmy said...

Okay that is pretty funny and pretty sad. Sounds like you need a better visiting teacher.

wonder woman said...

That's hilarious. I would've done the same thing -- nodded and went along even though I had no idea what was going on.

Kristina P. said...

How long as she been your VT? Wow, that's fun.

j@nAe said...

Well, you did the right thing by waiting to say something - in the end she was the one that should have been embarrassed and not you! That is sooooo funny! At Thanksgiving my visiting teachers left a note at my house (I was out of town) saying they had just found out they were my visiting teachers. Funny thing is, I had known that since June or July! Now it's February and they have yet to visit me. Interesting people.

I loved this story, it was so great!

Melinda said...

Oh man, thats crazy! I would've done exactly the same thing, nodded and went along with it...maybe up until he showed up even. haha I do think thats a little sad she didn't know who you were, um yes, FAIL.

Carolyn said...

I love it.

Hehe.

Lara said...

She totally wanted piano lessons.

And, that is hilarious. Major VT Fail!

Lourie said...

BWHAHAHAHHAHAHA! I laugh because that is funny. But you know, I am terrible with names. Anyways, thanks for sharing that one, Brooke was it? ;)

That Girl said...

Um, SHE should be the humiliated one, not you!

Some visiting teacher!

Sell...Party Of 4 said...

I probably would have done the same thing...just a lot of shaking of my head...while trying to figure out what she was talking about.

Debbie / Cranberry Fries said...

That is stinking hilarious and sad at the same time. I dont think we've had HT in over a year.

I did something similar when talking to a boy in jr high. He was talking to me through my 2nd story beddroom window (he was in my driveway) and I couldn't really hear him since he was trying to be quiet at night and all. Turns out he had asked me to 'go out' with him and I was just nodding and saying uhuh, uhuh. At the end he said something like, "cool so we're going out" and then I finally heard him and said, uhhhh wait what?? haha sad.

Copyright Trapped Between a Scream and a Hug

Meaning all content on this blog is mine. So you better not steal it. Seriously.