February 5, 2010

Random Friday

My 15 month old son loves putting on headbands as necklaces. I think it's hilarious.  My husband is a bit concerned for his manhood.  I figure, it just goes along with the territory of having 2 older sisters.

****************************************

It is so gray outside. It better snow, or we are all in trouble. Yesterday was the warmest day of the year and my kids had a blast playing outside.  It was sooooo nice.  Today, however, I'm scared to set foot  outside. . .

**************************************

I have to tell you about my genius idea.  My girls really want to take dance classes. It just isn't in the budget right now, but I'm pretty sure by the start of the next school year, we will be able to pull it off.  But I'm making them work for it. I told them that they have to earn money to help pay for their dance classes.  They can earn money buy doing extraordinary chores.  Picking up their toys, clearing the dishwasher and putting away their clothes don't count because those are all regular chores that they have to do anyway. We're talking about cleaning toilets and baseboards and washing the dishes and scrubbing the walls.   So far, so good.  I'm pretty excited about having clean baseboards. . .

**************************************

My daughter really wants a pet for her birthday. Since her Daddy is allergic to pretty much everything with fur, we are looking at a fish, which is totally fine with her.  Any recommendations? Basically, I'm asking, what is really hard to kill?

***********************************

Anyone else ready for spring? Because, really, really I am.  Really.
Photobucket

14 comments:

Carolyn said...

I'd say beta fish or gold fish. Both are pretty hearty. Guppies are easy too and they will have babies. Which is always fun.

Linds said...

We had a pretty beta fish that would have lived forever if not for a murderous cat!

wonder woman said...

My kids asked for a fish the other day when we were looking at them at Walmart. I told them two bigs dogs were enough.

My kids played outside yesterday, too. It was glorious. I was able to mop the kitchen floor in peace! Yes, I am oh so ready for spring.

Good thinking with the chores! Teaching so many great principles! Also, good thinking with earning your way to CBC. I laid in bed last night, thinking of what I could possible make or sell......I got nuthin'.

Lourie said...

Tip about the fish: their stomachs are only as big as their eyes. They don't need a lot. Fish crisps are better than flakes--easier to eat for fishy. They don't need to be fed everyday.

We've been blessed with real nice weather...but now the rain is coming back.

tell hubby his son's manhood is superior because he is not afraid to be in touch with his "feminine side" ;)

I have something for you on my blog.

Liz @ Sugarplum Creations said...

Uh yeah, I'm totally ready for Spring! We had a Beta for about a year, but there seemed to be something wrong with him from the get-go. I'm pretty sure they're supposed to last long than a year. Poor Swimmy.

I love your idea about working for dance classes ;) My girls have taken dance since my oldest was 3, and they love it. Of course I love it because I was a dancer too. The studio that they go to now actually needs a teacher for one beginning tap class, and I think I'm going to take it. It doesn't pay much, but it should cover the cost of my girls' Jazz classes, PLUS they can attend my tap class for free. Such a deal! :)

Momza said...

beta fish...totally

Melinda said...

My son wears headbands for necklaces too and also has two older sisters--he's the boyest of boys so I'm really not worried about it, I think its hysterical!
My kids want pets too, I don't want to deal with it right now (or for a long time really.)
SOOO ready for Spring!!

j@nAe said...

Apparently my recommendation isn't novel at all, but I was going to say a beta fish as well. You can only have one (they'll kill each other). I got one in college that lived for two years! Plus, they sell them at Walmart. (At least they used to.) So they're cheap.

MommyJ said...

My friends had a beta that seriously lived FOREVER. I don't think you could go wrong there.

Oh, how sick I am of this rainy, slushy awfulness that is everywhere right now. I NEED blue sky!!

Sara said...

I love having my kids do chores. It's the best. I added two regulars. Gabe cleans the toilet and Emma cleans the counters in the bathroom. I tried to get them to clean the baseboards. Emma only did it one time, and never wanted to do it again. One chore I like to give is I give them a clorox wipe and have them clean all the doorknobs and lightswitches. We have never had a pet yet. Maybe for Emma's birthday we'll get one. You'll have to tell me how the fish goes.

Genavee said...

Another vote for beta fish. I had one in high school that I would rarely feed, or clean its bowl. I lived for years. I feel really bad about my neglect now, but I'm still impressed by that fish's resilience.

Just SO said...

How about a naked mole rat? ;)

I saw my crocuses poking their little green shoots up so Spring is coming!

Debbie / Cranberry Fries said...

I love the idea of earning the dance classes. My girls want to take gymnastics but like you it's not in our budget right now. I'm totally stealing your idea of having them earn the money. I love it!

Stephanie said...

My sister and I both got beta fish from wal mart. They are pretty to look at and easy to maintain. Though they do make the tank smell if you don't clean it often. You should read into this: stephanie and her sister did NOT clean their respectively seperate tanks often enough, may or may not have forgotten to feed said fish, and they still lived a little over 3 years a piece. Seriously.

Copyright Trapped Between a Scream and a Hug

Meaning all content on this blog is mine. So you better not steal it. Seriously.