March 24, 2010

Genius Child

Growing up, my sister and I spent most of our summers at our Grandma's. I don't remember how old we were: young enough for my parents not to trust us home alone all day, but old enough that they would leave for an hour or two without a problem.


Since both of my parents were gone by 7:00 am, my mom would wake us as she left and then we would get up, eat breakfast and ride our bikes or roller skate over to our grandparent's house, about a block away.  We would spend the day playing in the back yard, riding our bikes or our roller skates.  We frequently regretted that we couldn't have both there. 


One morning, a light bulb appeared above my head. What if, what if, we COULD have both?  The solution was simple. I couldn't believe I hadn't thought of it before.  (You're thinking, yeah, put the roller skates in a backpack and go, right?  Nope.) Are you ready for this?  


We would WEAR our roller skates while RIDING our bikes!  The pedals would fit perfectly in between the wheels! I was a genius.  So, we strapped them on an headed out. Since we lived on a slight hill (those who are familiar with my parents house are laughing at this. The incline is about 15 degrees), we decided to go around the other side of the block, where the incline was less. 


After about 15 minutes and 20 feet of progress, we realized that this wasn't the best idea. The pedals fit, but it was almost impossible to keep our feet on them, and when we put our feet on the ground, we just rolled backwards.  My sister was cursing my name by this point. 


I turned around to tell her to hurry up and saw my dad's car drive up the street.  He wasn't thrilled with us. (Although I imagine that it took a lot of self discipline to keep from laughing at the sight.)  He made us put the roller skates in his car and followed us the rest of the way. 


Despite the poor outcome, it is still one of my proudest moments.  Mainly because the simple recollection causes hysterical laughter every time it comes up. 
Photobucket

13 comments:

Pam said...

I LOVE funny remembrances from childhood. Great story!

Anne said...

That's awesome- very inventive!

Mrs. Townsley said...

I'll never forget it. I put all the blame on you.

Emmy said...

Lol! Hey, you were thinking outside the box :)

Melissa Bastow said...

That is a good idea. I bet it was a great workout. I used to ride my bike to my grandma's house a lot too - except there were no hills involved. But she had a picnic bench in her backyard that we would do cartwheels off of and call ourselves gymnasts. Grandma's houses are great.

Jo said...

I use to have a sucker stand, (we made suckers and sold them for a quarter)and a paper rout. I would save my money and buy a plane ticket to fly to grandmas for a week. She lived in California. Those were the days...

Sher said...

That is hilarious! You were such a creative child.

Lourie said...

I knew the very second you said what if we COULD have both. Hahahaha.

Lara said...

That is pretty darn funny! And now when your own children make such illogical decisions, at least you'll remember and understand.

That Girl said...

Oh, I bet he laughed his head off. Before and after you saw him. ;o)

Loralee and the gang... said...

So funny! Remember those skates that you could strap onto your shoes? You probably are too young to remember that...do I get my 5 bucks? heehee

Erin said...

I love recollecting stories that bring about laughter! What a fun one.

Charlotte said...

Sounds like a good idea. I would have gone along, too. And given my coordination skills, I wouldn't have made it off the driveway without breaking a leg.

Copyright Trapped Between a Scream and a Hug

Meaning all content on this blog is mine. So you better not steal it. Seriously.